Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Buy Back Furniture

Options
  • 04-03-2024 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey Guys -

So IKEA has this buyback program (https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/customer-service/services/buy-back/) where they buy back your used ikea furniture and sell it on. I recently moved houses and i had a table top from IKEA in very good condition which was not being used and therefore decided to follow the process and sell it back to IKEA. According to their process, i filled out the relevant details online and got an estimate of 47 euros over email that they will buy back the table top from me and that i can come within 30 days of the estimate to their shop to get a gift card from IKEA of the same value. Anyway, yesterday i thought i'd go in to IKEA with the table top and after driving for an hour and waiting in line for another half hour at IKEA i finally get to the customer service representative who informed me that they don't take tables without legs. I tried to tell her that i only bought the table top from IKEA and the online estimator is also for just the table top but they refused to buy it but agreed to dispose off it for free. I agreed to dispose off it since i didn't want to carry it back home now but i feel quite disappointed that IKEA did not honor their buy back policy specially when they gave me an estimate for that product over email as well.

Is there anything i can do here or should i just let it go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Just let it go.

You might have bought the legs for cheap while you there, but them on, and then got your €47 euro though

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Why didnt i think of that 🤣

Anyways, it's just annoying that the estimator said 47 euro and then the staff just blatantly refused to buy it outright.. I think that's false advertising and misleading the consumer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Really annoying if it is one of those table tops that they sell as a standalone pieces (i.e. you buy the legs separately if you want them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Other than complaining to Ikea there's nothing you can do.

It is annoying though, I just looked at their website and they don't make it clear that a table top can't be returned. It does say "non-assembled IKEA products" can't be returned but its not clear that a tabletop is considered unassembled.

I mean, its sold as a single item not a pack so what's to assemble?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭user302243

They've really made a mess of this scheme.

It really comes down to who you get on the day. I've given back table tops with the buy back scheme before without legs but then another day couldn't .

It should be if you get a quote they'll take it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Yes exactly, on the website it accepts table tops and gives an estimate so i don’t understand why the can’t take it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was going to say "do they even have tables that aren't sold separately" and then remembered I have one. But such a huge amount of their tables and desks are sold as top + legs seperate and you can sometimes even buy odd numbers of legs for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They 100% would’ve put legs on that once you left and sold it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes I have one too and am working off it right now, we bought the table top, two legs and one of their drawer units for the other side for my wfh office.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

The strangest thing is I've bought a table top from the reuse section, so they definitely will resell just the table top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement