Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Admin required] Warning received by beasty

Options
  • 04-03-2024 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭

• uncivil
    • duploelabs March 2
    • Did I specifically target a poster by name?
    • Beasty March 2
    • What on earth has that got to do with it?
    • duploelabs March 3
    • Because if I attack a poster then that's worthy of a sanction, but I didn't, so who reported it and on what grounds? Where is the charter that defines what is civil? Is it only you that decides that and, if so, then I will most definitely appeal this sanction as you cannot be the sole arbitor of what is and isn't civil. Do you want understand?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Hi @duploelabs I'll take a look at this for you.

First things first, can I see the actual post you got carded for please? It'll be at the top of the PM where you received your warning. Paste it into the thread please.

Second, is the above sequence of PMs all of the correspondence between you and the mod regarding this warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hi,

Post has been deleted so I cannot link to it. My issue is that I didn't attack of mention a single poster, nor was the reason in the charter mentioned, it seemed that @Beasty was arbitrary in deciding what and what wasn't uncivil. This leaves a loophole for a mod to enforce on whatever they decide on the day, not to mention I was personally attacked on that same thread in an unprovoked manner with that user facing no sanction following my report of the post

This is the rest of the pm sequence

BeastyBeasty March 3

Who were you referring to? Just the username is all I need

duploelabsduploelabs March 3

That's not the point I'm making. You cannot be the sole arbitor of what's right or wrong without anything of us users to refer to. Rescind the warning, reinstate my posts or we can kick this up a level

BeastyBeasty March 3

That is entirely the point. It is very clear which user you were referring to

Please can you copy and paste this entire PM conversation when you start this appeal, as that will assist the CMod when reviewing this

duploelabsduploelabs March 3

I did not attack a poster, nor are you the arbitor on what is civil or not unless there is a common charter which we can all refer to, you are not judge dredd despite what you perceive, invite the cmod to this conversation and we can get them to decide

BeastyBeasty 12:06AM

Please start a thread in the Dispute Resolution Forum, and post up this full conversation

duploelabsduploelabs 9:36AM

Please link to it, it's not visible on the mobile site

BeastyBeasty 12:07PM

Dispute Resolution

https://www.boards.ie/categories/dispute-resolution

This is our forum for dealing with disputes between members and Moderators.

Add a Message

Rich Text Editor.To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph.An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu.Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

New MessageLeave Conversation

In this Conversation

duploelabs

Beasty

Add People to this Conversation

© Boards Software Limited 2024

Advertisement

This is an embed external element. It can be deleted using the delete key or the backspace key. To view the full element, press the preview button below.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OK, I've retrieved the post you received the warning for;

So, on what basis are you disputing the warning?

Because I never adressed a poster directly. My point being is that if that gets a warning, and other directed personalised attacks that I have received don't get one that it seems that sactions are based on a mod's 'mood' and personal opinion at that time (seems a trait of the afforementioned mod), rather than a common charter that ensures an even measure which we can all adhere to.

• Advertisement

The personal attack post I mention is here

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121842248#Comment_121842248

which now seems to have been removed in the past 12 hours, which begs three questions;

Why was my post removed and sactioned issued yet that post remained when I reported the above post at the same time?

Why was the post removed only after a few days when mine was immediately?

Was the post removed by @Beasty subsequent to me raising the dispute in an effort to appear impartial when in reality they are not?

You're making a fairly big assumption here that I am happy to clarify for you - mods don't/can't read every post in every thread. If a post receives a sanction and another, similar, post does not then the possibility exists that the second post was never reported and the mods never saw it. Not saying that is the case here but you (and many others) appear to think that 100% of posts are read by the mods and that is simply not possible.

Anyway, with regards to your warning. It is as clear as day exactly who you are referring to. The fact that you refer to them as 'him' rather than their username in your post does nothing to obscure their identity.

Was the post on topic and if so how did it advance the discussion re Joe Biden's Presidency, or was it an opportunistic dig at another poster (which, in my mind anyway, would make it an uncivil post)?

Re the CA forum charter, if you have an issue with that please discuss it in the Help Desk or Feedback forums. Its not relevant here.

There's one point you didn't clarify and that was the time delay between my recipt of a sanction for my post (which again didn't specify any poster) which was pretty much the same time which I reported the personal named attack in a different post, and the time which it took for the latter to be removed. I'm in no way suggesting that every post is read (however I would assume each reported post is read at the same time, however there is a time delay in which my post was removed, and the post which I reported being removed and which mod removed it. Clarity on this point is essential to ensure justice is indeed blind and even handed

OK I have no idea what post you are referring to. The above link is dead and I would need to trawl through the deleted posts log to find the post (even if I knew who made the post, approximately what time and what mod deleted it - it is still an extremely long and tedious undertaking).

Reported posts are actioned in blocks by whatever mod is online at the time, and to clarify - yes, all reported posts are reviewed. If there was a time delay between one post being actioned and another not being actioned for several hours there are factors that could cause that.

i) When the post[s] were reported (typically it's first come first served - just because posts appear in one sequence in a thread does not mean they were reported in the same sequence, ie the newer post may have been reported first so it enters the report queue earlier)

ii) If there is a mod online at the time the chances are a post will be actioned fairly quickly

Now that all of your queries have been clarified to the best of my ability I am only interested in the post you received the warning for. I will repeat my above query-

Was the post on topic and if so how did it advance the discussion re Joe Biden's Presidency, or was it an opportunistic dig at another poster (which, in my mind anyway, would make it an uncivil post)?

Here is a link to the post I am refeering to again

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121842248#Comment_121842248

I reported it at the same time as I received the sanction, yet there was a delay (3 days in fact) in it getting removed (only was removed last yesterday or early this morning), which then begs the question did Beasty only remove it subsequent to me raising the dispute in order to appear impartial when in fact their moderation is anything but. My dispute is this incogruent nature of moderation and the poster which attacked me personally seems to be given a wide berth in that sub despite mine, and many other's reporting of their trolling, which seems to be highlighted by this time delay

• Advertisement

As I mentioned above, that link is dead for me too. I would need to know more about the post before I can track it down. There is also no guarantee that it was Beasty who removed it.

If your issue is with the moderation in general of the CA forum then please start a thread in the help desk forum.

Now, for the third (and final) time-

What more do you need to find it then? Surely you've a log of reported posts, and even more so, the posts I reported, and a log of posts that have been deleted by mods and what mods have actioned them. It was a reply to this comment here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121807863#Comment_121807863

Certainly the reported posts and moderation log I have access to on reddit where I'm a mod, would be quite easy to search though.

If you won't engage with a discussion of the moderation tactics on this thread, can you move this thread to that help desk forum for fear of having to list out all again.

As for was my sactioned post on topic, then yes it was on topic as it highlighted a certain political demographic's pencent to regurgitate talking points from right wing media to attack Joe Biden without actually drilling down to understand the flimsy underpinning of these talking points, and No I did not directly attack a single poster, despite what you attest by my use of a pronoun.

If you won't engage with a discussion of the moderation tactics on this thread, can you move this thread to that help desk forum for fear of having to list out all again.

This is not a discussion about moderation tactics in CA.

You are disputing a warning you received for a post that you made, and quite frankly the explanation you have offered is not satisfactory at all.

This is the post. You are quoting a post which quotes another user. Your post is clearly discussing the original poster by commenting on their posting style, either to bait a reaction or just to get a dig in at them for whatever reason. This is not "highlighting a political demographic", you are referring to THAT poster specifically.

I'm upholding the warning for uncivil posting.

Please let me know if you would like an admin to review this.

What more do you need to find it then? Surely you've a log of reported posts, and even more so, the posts I reported, and a log of posts that have been deleted by mods and what mods have actioned them. It was a reply to this comment here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121807863#Comment_121807863

Certainly the reported posts and moderation log I have access to on reddit where I'm a mod, would be quite easy to search though.

You haven't adressed these issues regarding timing of moderation and thus establishing that moderation is unbiased on the sub so then yes get an admin involved.

As to your question here

Yes it was on topic and no, I did not attack a poster or name them so we can split hairs on that latter part depending on said bias

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement