Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris battery problem

Options
  • 03-03-2024 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Toyota Yaris 2005 petrol sometimes have starting problem. Most of the time it's fine and starts no problem. But today for example it started in morning ok and drove few miles to shop but wouldn't start when I came out of shop. It's like the battery is dead. This seems to happen if I start it with heater and wipers on. I hadn't drove the car yesterday and usually it only goes daily short journeys. But would that cause the starting problem . I don't remember ever having an issue in a car where it won't start if the heater or wipers in on and maybe radio. I had the battery checked at a garage and its good.

As I said it will start at beginning of a journey but some other times it wont start especially it started under load with radio, heater or wipers on. I had to get it jumped a few times. I checked the battery voltage and it's ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd be inclined to get a 2nd opinion on the battery. Have you checked the connections to the battery are fully secure?

Do you know how old the battery is, it would be recommended to change around 4 or 5 years old when issues like that start happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Peter256

Yeah the connections are fully secure. The battery is 5 years old. I use to have a parasitic drain issue and I thought it was the battery so I bought new battery back then, but I changed the radio and it fixed the drain problem. It use to flatten the battery so that it wouldn't start in morning. But now this battery problem is different. It does start in morning but it might not start at another time during the day, especially if I start with heater, light or wipers on.

Maybe I should try a new battery or get it checked again and also could it be an alternator issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Was just going to say possible intermittent alternator issue.

I presume you mean doesn't start when start after having a journey wipers, heater and lights on?

It doesn't cut out on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd suspect that the starter motor is getting a bit tired after 18 years of short journeys. Might need new brushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Temperature sensor is your problem

• Advertisement

Yeah the car will start before a journey to the shop and then after coming out of shop 5 minutes later when you try start it again with heater on it won't start. So I try to make sure heater, lights and wipers are off before starting and it will be ok but sometimes I might forget to switch heater off after driving.

It's starts from Jump leads so it's issue with battery or charging system.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I had some what the same problems with my car and was advised to thoroughly clean the earth connections to engine block and negative cable connection on car body... starting perfect since they were cleaned.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

Advertisement