Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written Warning and future progression!

Options
  • 03-03-2024 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on a written warning for an incident that happened at work! It expires after 6 months. What I am curious about here us:

1. Has anyone been in a similar position and tried leaving their current role while under a warning? Were you successful securing a new role?

2. After it expires its suppose to come off my record. Does that mean if a new employer ever asked if I had been on a disaplinary would my current employer in this case say no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If you are on a warning you should leave as it will always hang over you in that company and will hold back your progression.

No, companies are not allowed to disclose your employment details and record with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Is that true re not disclosing it as I don't want it following me around!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why do you think it follows you around? How do you think it follows you around?

Warnings are an internal disciplinary tool, nothing more nothing less. Not only don't they get shared between companies, it would be highly unprofessional for info about warnings to be made public at all.

I suspect you are very much overthinking things. But without knowing the seriousness of what the warning was about nobody can really answer your question.

Grabbed PPE of colleague who is a known bully! Apparently I didn't take the right course of action, which I knew and apologised, but it was deemed that I assaulted a colleague by doing that! By the letter of the law .... that is correct! But I wasn't letting anyone get bullied under my nose!!

"Assault" could easily be regarded as gross misconduct resulting in dismissal, that they only gave a warning says to me that they weren't too concerned about it.

Again though, these are internal disciplinary matters. The only way it could have relevance to you getting a new job is if the new employer rings somebody asking for a reference, and a manager tells them you assaulted somebody. And that would be a serious breach of confidentiality that could get the manager in a lot of trouble, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Even just asking if you had been disciplined is a serious HR no-no.

People get warnings all the time, for serious reasons and for petty reasons. They are not criminal convictions, don't overthink them.

• Advertisement

Thank you bucketybuck for putting me at ease!

I have seen a few roles I am interested in so will go ahead and apply. I was concerned I may be wasting my time!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is the official path and then there is the grape vine...

Physically assaulting someone is a serious matter that people won't forget even if the company officially does. So what it really comes down to is how good the grape vine is in your area or sector. If you are part of a small workforce where most of the people know each other through conferences and movement between a small set of players, then it is very likely that most people will get to know about it. On the other hand if you are a member of a large workforce where there is little chance of a new employer know people in your old employers then you can feel reasonable easy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

It very much depends.

I have known colleagues who got written warnings for various misdeeds but it made absolutely no difference to their further advancement because it was seen to be a one off.

On the other hand a warning for behaviour that would be seen to be consistent with a pattern of behaviour did have consequences for their future.

Some very valid points from you both. Thank you.

Works both ways though, if it is small enough that everybody hears that the OP had a fight with the bully, then it is small enough that everybody already knows about that bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

100% look for new employment. A written warning will almost certainly wreck your future prospects. I should know. Written warning in 2007. No promotion since. almost 20 years....

He physically assaulted someone, it is not just that he did not get on with certain people and that makes a very big difference. Giving someone with history a violence a second chance weakens any defence the new employer might have should there be a reoccurrence and he was sued. Most employers will pass on such an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

your post reads like the script of a some US TV law series.

No, it is from the actual experience of having to deal with legal and risk management in mainland European companies. And yes European employees are every bit as likely to make a claim against their employer, if they see an opportunity for free money, don't be under the illusion that Americans are the only ones that do this.

Advertisement