Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Repasting

Options
  • 03-03-2024 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

So I bought a used 6900 XT a few months ago (from Ebay) for my sons PC. Works fine but runs hot (hotspot hitting 100c) and fans seem loud, one is vibrating for sure. Just seems like it could have had a hard life, so I want to give it a repaste and some new fans.

I’ve built plenty of PCs over the years but looking online the repasting process seems a bit risky. Also hard to tell what I would need to purchase, between the paste, pads etc.. I read stories about incorrect pad thickness preventing the right pressure on the chip.

Any recommendation on the correct stuff I would need?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Unless you have repair kit or manual/data sheet with all specs you only find out once disassemble the unit . Perhaps start with fans and see if heatsink is free from "cotton", fan blades clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I did a gpu repaste for the first time recently. It made a huge difference and it wasn't hard at all. I went from hot spot at 105C (throttling temperature) down to low-mid 80s (no more throttling). The only tricky bit was turning some of the screws - I had to buy proper screwdrivers that don't slip.

I have an Asus TUF 3080ti. I found a youtube video that showed how to open it up. Basically just undo a few screws and you can open it like a book. You don't even have to disconnect the fan cables. All I did was clean off the old paste with isopropyl alcohol and apply a blob of MX4. No spreading, just blob it on and put the gpu back together. The pressure of the heatsink automatically spreads out the paste. I didn't change the pads as there wasn't any problem with the memory temperatures.

It's worth googling around to see if you can find a video for your specific card. That way you can be aware of anything that requires special care.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

Since you are opening the card up forget about paste and get a pad that will last forever. PTM 7950 or Kyrosheet. They are just as good as liquid metal so far superior to paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Robertr

Thanks all. Went for it and did the repaste, bought varios size thermal pads also and replace all them. Made the world of difference. Porbably 20c lower across the board. Was straight forward enough once you take your time.

Advertisement