Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth or Swords - Which would be the best location to buy a new build?

Options
  • 03-03-2024 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I’m confused to choose the right place to buy a new house in terms of safety, transportation to Dublin city, future value, schools, hospitals and other amenities. Could you please help to provide your insights on which would be a best place to buy a house Maynooth or Swords?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Where do you work? Proximity to where you work should have some bearings on where you live. You don't want to spend hours every day travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

That's like asking, should I buy in Cork or galway.

Where is your work based?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

As others have said, where you work (especially if you are planning on staying there) has a huge bearing. Also where do you spend your time? Where do friends and family that you might visit live? I’m from Maynooth so I’m totally biased - but it’s a great place to raise children (I raised mine there). Easy commute to the city (including 24 hour bus) but also you are right beside Meath for some lovely green grass if not being stuck in a concrete jungle is your thing). Excellent restaurants too. Pretty safe and respectable. I live on the north side of Dublin now, and it takes me longer to get to Dundrum town centre than it did when I lived in Maynooth. 20 minutes to get to the airport when it’s not rush hour (but of course swords would be faster)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Yeshwars

thank you guys for all your responses. My work location is city centre so distance to work from swords and Maynooth is almost the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

In that case I’d say Maynooth - it’s got the best of everything without being inside a concrete jungle. One benefit swords has however is being near the coast - that’s the only thing that’s standing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If the Metro goes ahead and if your potential house is near to a metro station, I think Swords would win from a transport point of view. Maynooth does have a suburban train line but it’ll be a long time before it comes close to the speed, frequency or operating hours of the metro. You would imagine that the metro would have a positive effect on the value of your house in the future, especially with easy access to the airport, DCU and the city centre.

You asked about hospitals but I’m not sure that’s a driver for most people when buying a house. Beaumont is quite close to Swords and with metro + orbital bus, it should be easily accessible by PT for routine appointments.

The advantage Maynooth has is that it feels like a nicer place to live. That’s obviously very subjective and it depends on how close your house is to the town itself. The downside is that it’s growing very quickly at the minute so there’s likely to be pressure on schools for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Maynooth has gone to hell in terms of traffic and infrastructure in the last decade or so. I'd leave in the morning with remote working available. Somewhere cheaper and less hectic. I'm from Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

City centre is relative. Look at where the train/bus would leave you compared to where you work. How much of a walk would you need after the commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I went to college in Maynooth over 20 years ago, and the traffic was pretty bad then, I was driving there a few months ago and it took 45 minutes to get from one side of the town to the other. I don't know how the residents cope.

Swords isn't much better for traffic, it does depend which part of Swords the OP is considering but long-term, I think Swords will have better transport links and it's nearer the airport - always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Having lived in both at different times over the years. If I was buying I think I would buy in Maynooth. You get a lot more bang for your buck. But if you need to travel into Dublin city center, which surprisingly to myself I do less and less as I get older and less tolerant of the state of Dublin city center the less I want to be anywhere near the place tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement