Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Orals

Options
  • 03-03-2024 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I never applied for orals before. For years my principal didn’t allow us out because they didn’t want us missing for a week (made no difference as I didn’t want to do them anyway tbh). Due to having kids and therefore needing money I decided to apply this year as did my wife. Neither of have been appointed (so far). I did the interview and was told that I was being added to the list but that there was high demand and that those that previously did it would have an advantage. While I understand this, does this now mean it’s effectively a closed shop? If those that have done it previously continue to apply they will continue to be appointed over those of us that haven’t done it thus far. Seems a small bit unfair? Again I understand the reasoning, but in theory if those that have done it already continue to do it for the next 10-20 years, those of us that haven’t done it already will continue to be overlooked.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I find it comes and goes in waves. Some years more people apply, others very few. This happens to be a year lots have applied. In 2022 very few wanted to do the written exams so lots of new people came into the fold. I'd say if you apply a year or two you'll get the call up. Lots of people are in your position who couldn't go out when it was in term time so there's a load of people applying now. If they'd give the retired people the chop there would be lots of spots for those currently teaching.

I would say the unions should ask for them to prioritise current teachers but sure the union meetings have a lot of retired folk at it so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

It used to be the same for supervising exams. Did you apply before the closing date?

They have a priority list, people who do the summer marking get priority over those who don’t.

The retired people will disappear whenever the newer courses come in, they won’t have done the cpd for the new courses, so they won’t be able to do the orals. Similar happened in 2012 in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Yeah I applied in time, did an interview and was told I was being put on the list but she did say there was big demand. The closer the holidays come the more I’m thinking I’m happy enough to have the 2 weeks off instead! I was just thinking it could be unfair if the people that have done it before are given the go ahead every year and those that haven’t came break in so to speak. But yeah the new Leaving Cert might free things up a bit. (Though I dread the thought of a new leaving)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I suppose it’s like anything, they can’t sack people because new people are willing to give it a go for a year. If dependable people have stayed with them every year and cause no issues, they aren’t in a position to overlook them. Positions will become available all the time as people take a year out or move on from it.

Advertisement