Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 days south of France in August

Options
  • 02-03-2024 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭

Now obviously there's a million and one things to do in the south of France but there's a little context

We've booked a week in La Sirene near Perpignan. Flying in and out of Toulouse.

There's 11 days between flights as we wanted to do something else after that. Likely to have a car for the duration. So we've 4 days where the world is somewhat our oyster however we're limited to a degree by the fact our return flight out of Toulouse.

She's regretting not making Paris our return flight as she's saying Disneyland for the kids would have been a great way to finish. Looking at the cost of a few days up there, I'm more than happy to be tied to Toulouse.

Andorra/Pyrenees are there, Barcelona isn't even that far from Perpignan. Possibly even go cross country beyond Toulouse to Bordeaux.

I've not been to South France before so I'm a bit overwhelmed with the opportunity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BolloxChop

I drove from Limerick to Barcelona last year for the Spanish grand Prix. Ferry from Rosslare to Le Havre. Drove down the middle of France to Montpellier, then to Barcelona via Andorra. After the Grand Prix I drove to Madrid, then to Porto and back up to Bilbao where I got the ferry home.

Around the south of France I'd highly recommend Nimes if you're in to your history. Loads of Roman ruins. Very easy to park your car at the park and ride just outside the city and get the tram in. Montpellier was nice but nothing flash. I wanted to see the Millau viaduct and drive over it. It's an incredible piece of engineering and even more amazing when you see it in person. Millau itself is a class little town.

Carcassonne is also definitely worth a visit.

The drive from Carcassonne to Andorra was absolutely spectacular.

I didn't see a huge amount of Barcelona as most of my time was taken up with the F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OMG, it's a veritable playground. I've stayed in La Sirene a number of times and used it as a base to explore. You'll be doing well to get out of it for 4 days. 😂

Barcelona is a big one. ~2hrs drive. Park outside the emissions exclusion zone and take the tram in. Well able to do it in a full day.

Swimming/Snorkeling at either Le Racou beach, Pauliles Plage etc, or book a sea canoeing session with the Blue Bear team just outside the campsite.

Towns: Collioure (must see, half day with lunch), Narbonne (get the cathedral tour)

Wine tasting: Chateau Valmy (very near by), Cazes Rivesaltes,

Blue Bear also arrange eVTT (electric mountain bikes) and other excursions, as well as canyoning. They typically supply transport.

As for the campsite - make sure to be around if "Feel Collins" are playing - genuinely worth it. 🤣

Check back in here afterwards. Want to hear it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Keep it coming :)

We're the full week in La Sirene with another four days on top wholly unplanned so far.

Presume you enjoyed La Sirene to go back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd be back in a heart-beat. I'm letting out all the secrets now, but Hippocamp is the place to stay as it's the same company and they share the facilities, except Hippocamp is less 'busy'. Fun shall be had by all, is all I'll say.

Oh - and rent bikes if you can and take a cycle to Argeles Plage for a pizza and pint. If you're big into cycling then cycle to Canet Plage.

Advertisement