Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming VAT back on engagement ring

Options
  • 02-03-2024 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am an Australian citizen and reside there. I will be travelling to Ireland soon and am hoping to buy my engagement ring while there. The item will be paid for in store on the day of purchase. The ring could take a number of weeks to make so it may not be ready before I go back to Australia and therefore will have to be shipped. My question being, if the ring needs to be shipped back because it’s not ready in time, am I still entitled to claim the VAT back if it is not physically with me in the airport?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

From https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en

• You will receive an invoice for the goods. You must show the invoice, the refund form, the goods and any other necessary documents to the customs officers of the last EU country you leave. The customs officers must stamp the form as proof of export. Without the stamp, you will not obtain the refund.

Further down the page: "...The goods must accompany you when you leave the EU."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the gift is being shipped outside the EU the store will not (or at least should not) apply Irish VAT. You might be hit with taxes at the other end of course

You need to negotiate the arrangements with the jeweler.

Advertisement