Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Soc&Culture] Permanent ban from farming and forestry [Resolved]

Options
  • 01-03-2024 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to appeal my permenant ban from the farming and forestry forum. I was banned due to my post(s) in the thread about the referendum. I spoke briefly with the mod and they said to take it up with the admin.

Thanks.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Hi @Augme, I'll look at this but it might not be today.

Can you post a copy of the full PM exchange with the moderator. Screenshots of the messages will do.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Augme

Hi @Big Bag of Chips,

That's not problem.

Thanks Augme.

I'll look at this today.

Augme, I see no attempt by you to try to resolve this with the moderator. Just you confirming that you've been banned. No attempt at explaining your comment. No apology for it. No admission of a misjudged "witty" remark.

Your comment was disgusting on a thread where a number of people had given their history. Maybe you thought it was funny (?). If so then you really need to consider your posting style. You regularly troll and bait posters.

You're not a regular poster in Farming & Forestry but seem to have latched on to this particular thread. Your post was inflaming. I am going to uphold the forum ban and suggest you got off lightly.

As I have looked at this in the capacity of Category-Moderator you are entitled to have an Admin review it if you wish.

• Advertisement

Given the moderator immediately said he had no interest in discussing this and I should take it up with the admin if I had an issue, I did that. I wasn't going to my time talking to someone who had no interest in engaging about it. To be punished for following the mods instructions on that seems very peculiar tbh.

I didn't think it was funny, it was comment given to a person who suggested the mother and baby homes were not that bad. I retorted they we should bring them back if that's the case. My opinion was his downplaying their impact was absolutely ridiculous and my comment was to reflect that. I felt whether sarcastic, witty, or whatever is irrelevant really though. The comment was made and the mod actioned it. I felt a permenant forum ban for one comment was excessive.

As for regularly trolling and baiting posters, I would disagree with that, and given this is my first ever forum ban the mods on the forums I post on would disagree with that as well.

I am not a regular poster on farming and forestry, I didn't realise one needed to be a regular poster to get involved in a thread on any forum. If the mods of boards want to keep their forums to regular posters only then that is your perogative.

There is no need for an admin review, and think we all know how that will go. Thanks for taking the time to review this.

I didn't think it was funny, it was comment given to a person who suggested the mother and baby homes were not that bad. I retorted they we should bring them back if that's the case.

This is not what happened. The poster you replied to did not suggest they were "not that bad." You did not suggest we should bring them back "if that's the case". On a text based platform the written word is very important. And what you have written here as a defence bears no resemblance to what was actually posted on the thread.

I am not a regular poster on farming and forestry, I didn't realise one needed to be a regular poster to get involved in a thread on any forum.

You don't need to be a regular poster in any forum to contribute to threads. But if you pop up in a forum you don't have a history in and your posts are baiting well then the moderators are entitled to think you have no interest in contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way.

As for regularly trolling and baiting posters, I would disagree with that, and given this is my first ever forum ban the mods on the forums I post on would disagree with that as well.

Forum bans aren't the only sanctions. You've received plenty of warnings and a number of thread bans from moderators in other forums for trolling and baiting. That they've chosen not to forum ban you has no bearing on the fact that the farming and forestry moderators have chosen to forum ban you.

As you have opted to not have an Admin review the ban I will have this marked as resolved.

The use of the word with quoted "survivor" clearly implied that. I haven't written anything as a defence by the way, it's an explanation. I'm not here to defend the comment. I posted here to appeal the level of sanction.

Forum bans aren't the only sanctions. You've received plenty of warnings and a number of thread bans from moderators in other forums for trolling and baiting. That they've chosen not to forum ban you has no bearing on the fact that the farming and forestry moderators have chosen to forum ban you.

I have one active thread ban and no active warnings. I wasn't under the impression that forum bans are there for mods to dish out whenever they feel like it. That's never been my experience in my 10 years on board, but i understand that now I was wrong in that impression.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Discussion closed as per admin BBoC.

-Shield

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement