Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating senior cat

Options
  • 01-03-2024 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, Looking for some advice here.

My father - in -law passed away in November, leaving behind a 14 year old cat. The cat was somewhat used to being alone as my FIL had been staying at his daughter’s house nearby and making daily visits to his own house to feed the cat. The cat was allowed in the house when he was there but outside otherwise.

Since then my husband and his sister have been taking it in turns to go and feed the cat. We have let her stay inside more and she has learned to use a litter box. It’s a bit of a pain, as my husband currently drives over to the house twice a day, M-F, to feed the cat and let her in/out. He is fond of the cat and wants to bring her to our own house and his sister doesn’t want it at hers.

Here’s the issue - we already have two cats of our own, aged 15 and 14 and a 13 1/2 year old Golden Retriever. Our older cat is really highly strung and gets stressed easily, and when she does, she urinates everywhere. The other cat is a very soft male, but is wary of other cats. The dog loves our cats but barks like a maniac at “intruder” cats. I just foresee chaos if we bring FIL’s cat to live here! On the other hand, we cant keep driving over twice a day for what could be another few years! Plus, the house will be sold at some point.

Has anyone gone through something like this and has any suggestions of what we could do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A cat flap in the house the cat is staying in could help a little.

Advertisement