Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the VW LT35 still a good base vehicle in 2024

Options
  • 01-03-2024 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have been looking for a upgrade to our T4 for some time. I had fairly much dismissed the Crafter and Sprinter because of their redicolous price and dubious build quality. Also they have all the emissions controls bits which can be a real issue in an older vehicle.

We have been very impressed with the build quality and engine reliability of the T4 and think this was the sweet spot for VW vans, so it was always in the back of my mind that a LT35 would be a good candidate but there were so few about that it was going to be a long shot to find one. A medium wheel base LT35 has come up locally which has already been registered as a camper, I am going to take a look at. It would need a complete refit - but thats a good thing really as I can optimize the layout.

What do people feel about the LT35 at its advanced years. For me its still a vehicle which is workable on by an average DIY mechanic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Shoog

Went to look at this and unfortunately it was sold. It was of similar build quality as the T4 and its good size with robust solid engineering.

If another clean one comes up I will be going for it, but unfortunately they are rare and hens teeth in Ireland.

Going to look at another on monday, looks clean but still registered as a van.

Second one was rotted out around front window. Holes at the top allowing water to sit at the backmof the dash. Otherwise quite good.

In the end I went to see a Medium Wheel Base Sprinter 2.2cdi from 2005. The lad who had it spent well and then did a lot of expensive work to modernize it. Bodywork very tidy considering it age and make. Wasn't going to consider a Sprinter but this one had its engine completely overhauled by an army mechanic only a year or so ago so had confidence it would see me out with very few problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

enjoy and safe travels

• Advertisement
Advertisement