Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect devices on two different networks, simultaneously to a printer?

Options
  • 29-02-2024 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I have a fibre connection at home. It is split and connected to the WAN port of 2 routers at home. One router is for work from home purpose and the other is for personal purpose. I have one printer at home and I woud like to know how the devices in both networks can use the printer. I plan to give 192.168 range ip address for one network and 172.16 range ip address to other network.

I can manually unplug and plug the network cable back and forth, but looking for any other option for both network to use the printer simultaneously.

Can I connect my computer wired on to one network and wirelessly on to the other network to which the printer is connected and access the printer?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Split by what means?

It will require device that support custom static routing. What routers you have?

Perhaps some printers can have both WiFi and Eth connection simultaneously, i have come across few that does not, its either or

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭TestLink

The main fibre connection come in to a gigabit switch. From the Gigabit switch 2 LAN cables goes to the WAN port of the two routers. From one router connection goes to my work devices. From other router connection goes to my personal devices.

The routers are ASUS RT-AX88U and Vodafone Gigabox router.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's the switch managed or dumb? Do you have the ability the configure the switch or ASUS router or are they locked down by IT for instance?

What's the purpose of the split? If it's for securely separating the networks it might be difficult to do what you want without compromising security.

Switch is un-managed.

Router is not locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Could you connect it by USB to your home computer and then have it on the network address for work from home.

Maybe the other way around might work better - depends on which computer moves around less.

What model is the printer?

• Advertisement

It is a Brother Colour Laser All in One printer.

DCP-L3550-CDW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Yeah, as suggested above, USB to work PC (and share out to other devices on work network if need to be ), network connection on home side. Perhaps simplest solution without need of compromise of network "security" or complexity of static routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

From a quick Google you can't set up static routes on that Vodafone router so won't be able to get it going over the network in your setup.

You might be able to get something like in this link going, where your Vodafone network hangs off your work network and you have the printer on the work network but that involves double NATting which can be troublesome, and might prevent the print protocol from working entirely. And work might not be delighted with it.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1011706/

I tried double NATing earlier but it reduces the network speed considerably.

Advertisement