Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will mudflaps that poke out a bit like in rally car will fail on NCT?

Options
  • 29-02-2024 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am not from Ireland and I know usually the law won't let you have the tires/wheels that poke out of the body. But what about the mudflaps?

I like rally cars but won't be bother if I have to take them out for NCT and then back in later. Living in West Cork I feel that this mudflaps could be handy as well.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

I don't know the current practice.

6.2.1 section in the nct manual has the following

4. Check that bumpers, guards and body panels are secure and not likely to injure pedestrians or other road users.

It also has this as a note but I can't see what text or term it is quoting.

• The term “other similar devices” has a wide interpretation. The criterion to be used is that the road wheels must have associated with them equipment or part of the body which catches, so

far as is practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of the road wheels.

I would've thought if they weren't sticking out too far, like beyond the wing mirrors and were made of soft material like rubber that you'd be OK but if the tester deems them to be a risk to pedestrians you could be told to take them off and retest, which would be a free visual retest I would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pizzacooper

Thanks for the help. It won't stick out too far beyond the wing mirrors for sure. Probably like 5-7 cm out from the wheel arch. I just thought because where I am from the wheels cannot be wider out of the car body (not the wing mirrors) so I thought mudflaps are around the wheel it might be seen as unsafe if it is poke out of the body.

I don't have to do NCT soon (2025) but just thinking about getting those mudflaps style, not sure if I could ask the NCT center about the free visual retest because it sounds like I just announce myself that I might be doing an illegal thing. I have only 1 experience with NCT that I had to do for my car last year.

Advertisement