Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion to closed heating system - advice

Options
  • 29-02-2024 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello all, I’ve just been advised by builders that I should convert my heating system in 30 year old house to a closed system. My understanding (complete plumbing novice) is that this means removing tank in attic. Can anyone tell me roughly in simple terms what this work would entail and if it would be expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What age is the boiler and are the pipework and rads in good condition?

From my limited knowledge: To move from open to closed would require a pressure release valve at the boiler (probably already fitted) but vented outside, a filling loop with double non-return valve at the mains riser (usually in the attic), a sized pressure vessel (if not already fitted in the boiler) and a pressure gauge at the filling loop. Then removal (or draining and sealing off) of any expansion and replenishment tank in the attic. A power-flush and pressure test would also be in order. I think that's it.

As for cost... I'd guess around one and a half to two thousand euro... best get quotes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

What problem are you having that prompts you builder to give this advice.

Anyway usually a simple enough job so long as you don't have a solid fuel boiler stove/fireplace.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sparky2009

Boiler is old. Rads 30 years old I’d say. We had en-suite renovated and new towel warmer put in. After works, 3 of the rads upstairs were cold. Advised to upgrade the pressure pump beside boiler as currently (with new extra rad) pressure might not be getting hot water to the last rads on the system. It’s not sediment in rads as that was checked. Doesn’t look like airlock either. Advised to think about getting new rads and convert system to closed as this would standardise pressure to all rads and they’d also heat faster, if I understood correctly. Heat is kerosene oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sparky2009

Rads so old that some of the bleeding valves are just jammed and unmoveable. I should mention that the rads did heat ok before the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

How many rads now? Can you post a photo of the circ pump with a close up of the pump label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Possibly suggested by builder with a view to improve a circulation problem, and that it should help with.

The concern would be the impact of significantly increasing the system pressure when you convert to sealed. It may expose leaks.

Advertisement