Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning an LG UM7610PLB for Saoirview and Satellite

Options
  • 29-02-2024 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My OAP Parents in law have left Sky. They had a Sky Q package. They also have an Aerial. Trying to tune in a LG UM7610PLB but having no joy. Are their specific settings I must choose if I am doing a manual tune. They are based in Navan Meath.

Also with that in mind could you recommend a box thats pre tuned if I decide to go this route rather than the telly built in tuner?

Thanks folks and apologies if these questions have been asked before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

As they had SkyQ the LNB on the dish arm probably isn't compatible with the TV's satellite tuner.

SkyQ uses a two-output wideband LNB, the TV requires a single cable connection to a standard universal LNB.

A single cable connection to the TV from a wideband LNB will only see a small slice of the available spectrum.

New LNB required.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Are you doing a manual or automatic search, with the aerial,in the antenna search section. If you don't know your local frequency do an automatic search in aerial should get you the Saorview channels, in the broadcasting section select Ireland. If you select UK in the broadcasting section you can get Freesat, put in a UK postcode, with the correct LNB, but the Saorview channels wont be in sequence .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭tom23

Cheers... I just realised they have a saoirview box combo in their kitchen that is working! It's taking in both feeds. I think the box is an amiko. So I guess it must be the LG TV. I also suspect now there is a problem with the cable to the aerial... it's not picking up anything at all. I guess I might need a tv guy to come out and look. thanks for your help.

I was doing both... LG seem to pick up a lot of FTA channels.. I also think there might be a problem with the aerial cable.

Ok, I misread your original post, thought it was satellite related.

How is the aerial split between the two TV points?

Can you test the TV at the other TV point and vice versa, to narrow it down to cable feed or TV?

• Advertisement

yeah that’s the next step…

thanks for your help. i’ll try that and report back

ok so i managed to get the LG tuned in on the aerial. Also got a pile of satellite channels…

next question! can they be organised in a favourites list?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

On my LM model, you go into settings, down to all settings, to programmes, programme manager, edit all programmes, down to satellite. Then select channel, ok, press blue and renumber.

Or in General go to location, in broadcast country, select UK, Service area postcode, put in a UK postcode, I use Sw72ap, its the Albert Hall, that will give you Freesat, with London programmes.

howdy folks. So I got the LG tuned to saoirview and works fine. No luck with satellite channels on it.

I tried a walker combo box WP8010C and the same thing the FTA won’t come in even though it tunes them in but won’t show the picture.

Any ideas? i also have an amiko box that does so that must be compatible with the sky dish lnb?

The LNB the dish is likely a hybrid type, a mix of SkyQ wideband outputs and legacy outputs.

Can you easily see how many outputs are on the LNB?

A hybrid LNB can have 4 or 6 outputs, 2 of which are SkyQ wideband and the others legacy outputs. The wideband outputs won't work properly with a standard legacy satellite TV or STB, maybe only displaying a few channels.

If there are 2 spare outputs on the LNB move the SkyQ cables to those outputs.

• Advertisement

I’ll give an update on this. So I bit the bullet and advise the old man who called in a satellite installer. A local lad. He was there less than an hour. He sorted the LNB as Cush had suggested. We got rid of the old walker box that we where trying to use.

Tuned in the amiko box, all sorted.

Tuned in the LG, all sorted.

Long Press 1 on the LG remote. Saoirview

Long Press 2 on the LG remote. UK channels

Even the technophobe mammy got that.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Was able to talk the talk with satellite guy without having to go back and forth.

Great to be free of sky and have a decent epg to use.

Advertisement