Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dealers reducing asking price

Options
  • 29-02-2024 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

How long would a car be on show at a garage before dealer reduces price or does this ever happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

How long is a piece of string? Every dealer is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Something run of the mill, a 1.4 litre focus for example, available at every used car dealership in the area, they will want to move quicker than something that has less demand and you just have to wait for the right buyer, even at higher prices.

Then you have the business model of a particular dealer, high margin per sale or high volume lower margin? Or the amount of storage space they have.

So as said above its impossible to tell, depends how well priced it originally is, all you can do is put in an offer what you think it's worth.

I'm not a car dealer or have any financial interest in motor industry but was recently selling my mother's car for her, I wanted rid in a hurry so dropped asking price after a week and got it sold, was more important to me to just get something for it rather than have it hanging around, no space for it and no interest in holding out for an extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭BK5

Worked in a car dealership 20 years ago so this could be nonsense but we would have a list of stock and the cars were broke up into ones that had been there 30 days, 60 days and 90 days or over. The 90 days plus cars were prioritised by lowering the price or getting them freshly valeted and put in prominent spots etc. As I said it could be just the way this garage operated at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catmcg54

Thanks for taking the time to answer. The car I'm looking at was last updated on dealers website last November.

I am looking at 2 cars, same year, spec and model. Only difference is mileage. One has 30kms on clock and other has 65kms.

The lower mileage is priced €37k

The higher mileage one is priced @ €31k

However I prefer the higher priced one as I like colour and it is in better condition inside.

What, in you opinion, would be a reasonable price to offer for the €37k car?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭goochy

every deal is different , if you know a car is for sale for a while , a buyer would be mad not to ask for discount . A dealer may know that he has priced it well and that a buyer will come along eventually at that price

• Advertisement

Again it’s impossible to answer. You need to compare it to similar cars in other dealerships and determine if its priced right or overpriced.

Just go and make an offer the worst they can say is no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

post links to the 2 cars, they could be both massively overpriced or we could advise you to go in today and pay 37k asking for it before anyone else spots it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That does seem like a large price difference for just 30k Kms (and I'm not considering whether both prices are reflect the market - just each other). As mentioned, post links to the two cars.

Either way, a car with 65k Kms on the clock should still be near perfect if it has been maintained. You should get someone who knows cars (i.e. a mechanic) to inspect the car before you commit to paying over thirty grand on it - it could be the best hundred quid or so that you ever spend!

Thanks for all the information.

Viewing a car at a garage hoping to deal. Website says "haggle free price".

Has anyone ever dealt with a garage stating this and is there any/much room for getting the price down. If there is what is the best price to offer under asking price. Car up for €31900.

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What written warranty comes with the car?

Does the dealership look like it will last the length of the warranty and competently do the work or is it one of the cowboys near the Red Cow?

You've told us nothing about the car (make, model, year, is there a documented service history, what needs to be done to it currently (servicing?, tyres, tax, nct, ect) etc) so my gut feeling is that if you do think of biuying it, get an expert to view it before you part with €32k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Are you trading in ?

No trade in,

Garage is Johnson and Perrot.

1 year warranty, full service history, low mileage, fully serviced etc

Good price compared to similar cars on market

In the UK no haggle means what it says.

Here most will ignore it and have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Everything in sales is up for negotiation. Haggle! Don’t just accept what they tell you.

€500 is better in your pocket than theirs. €5000 is even better.

All they can say is no, and you walk away!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All they can do is say no, better in your pocket than theres.

i hate when people insist on getting money off , if the car is competitively priced and they say no movement accept it .

there is no point a dealer advertising a car at a competitive no haggle price and then a person getting annoyed because their ego was not boosted by them being a tough customer / not an easy sell

So basically you would not question a price? Interesting!

Does that involve all things or just cars?

it is no wonder car dealers in Ireland don’t discount compared to other countries where it is the norm to haggle on everything from car prices to the interest rate for any car loan.

personally, something is only worth what a person is willing to pay. That is called sales, it’s all a negotiation.

If the car is exactly what you want at the right price maybe you'd prefer not to haggle it's your choice.

On the other hand even if you don't get a lot off a few hundred could be got easily enough.

Even if they stick on the price a couple of new tyres or a free service might be doable.

What country are interest rates negotiable? In the UK for example cars are not really negotiable, and interest rates certainly aren’t either.

Sorry I’m spoilt, The States. Everything is negotiable.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that? The banks decide the interest rate based on your credit score in the US

Absolutely certain! I’ve done it for my last 4 cars. Also, BMW, Mercedes and LandRover ALL negotiate.

The last car I bought in Ireland (admittedly) for a sibling, I negotiated the hell out of. New car and although price moved only a little, extras were thrown in. It pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's nothing to do with ego, everyone wants to pay less for everything. I have always named a price on any car "would you take X?" It's up to the seller then to decide if they are willing to accept a lower price and counter your offer. There is nothing insulting or ego boosting about haggling, all they can say is "no the price is the price"

I generally feel too how cars are priced you know what they are willing to accept. I bought a car recently 4450, you know he's willing to take 4000, got it for 4100.

theres no harm in asking but people need to understand that a dealer has come up with the ' haggle free price ' for a reason , you are attracted to their ad as the car has been keenly priced - just because you have always haggled people think ' i have to get a better price ' if its well priced its well priced .

friend couldnt believe Hertz car sales would give him something off price of his wives car they bought - yet admitted they were cheaper than everywhere else

i rest my case !!

happy friday

wouldnt give

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

I've watched one car at a dealer go from price of about 46K back in July, down a grand or two over the past few months, and now is up for about 41K.. and I notice now that the warranty period has gone up at least an additional year on the ad also.

Maybe so. To be expected if a car doesn't shift . But it makes no sense to sell a car below the market value if its not long in stock.

The customer decides secondhand prices in many ways but dealers know the market

Advertisement