Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building simple app for smart watch

Options
  • 28-02-2024 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

I'm a software engineer professionally, and as a hobbie I referee LGFA games at club level. I've been thinking of building a simple app with a clock face that can count down time and take scores (Goals & Points) for both teams. I know there are watches and apps you can get already but almost everything is focused towards soccer or other sports. I can't find anything that suits my needs so I thought to build my own

I've worked in Angular (Ionic2 specically) a number of years ago building an app for my employer at the time. I'm also a professional Java engineer and have built some small android apps in the past although that's going back in time now.

I have a samsung smart watch that no one uses and a fitbit versa2

I know that the fitbit sdk is JavaScript (and outside of some angular as mentioned above I don't have much experience in it) but it doesn't support the versa2 out of the box. I don't want to buy a new watch just to suit my whim so that's a non runner as far as I can see.

I've read somewhere that Tiezen Studio is also end of life, so there doesn't seem to be too much point there either, plus it looks exactly like ionic, IE a web framework that ultimately compiled into an android app via the Android SDK

I'm assuming android studio can work with the smart watches like samsung and since I"m a java engineer I'd be ok working in Android Studio.

Can I write a simple app natively in Android Studio? I ask before I go through the hassle of installing the whole sdk / ide since it takes a minute to do.

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement