Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin broadband - straight cat6 or use Aruba

Options
  • 28-02-2024 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Not very good with tech so any help appreciated.

WiFi signals not great through tp link socket WiFi extenders.

Is it best to run ethernet from the virgin hub to 3 rooms to get better bandwidth or someone has said use Aruba Instant on switch to connect to hub and then run cables from that?

Running cat6 cables outside and into the rooms is not a problem for me, but which is better, straight cat6 cables to rooms or have Aruba?

Many thanks for any help

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bgcmotors

Forgot to add

Sky glass downstairs wired to hub

These three I need better bandwidth for

Office upstairs

Smart TV upstairs

Kiids gaming room in loft

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Straight up Ethernet connections will always be the best option, Aruba is a very strange brand to be calling out too, most people would us TP-Link, Asus or Ubiquity in Ireland for Wifi extension, I myself use an Asus AI Mesh system, though if I had the option to wire each room I absolutely would.

Simply put a cable to each room, get an ethernet switch for each and go from there, if you need WiFi extension, get a 2nd router and connect one of the ethernet cables to it and put it into AP mode, I personally recommend Asus routers as I find them very good but TP-Link is usually the best for value.

I will say, I don't know what internet speed you have, but assuming 1gb which is fairly standard now a days in Ireland, ethernet would be by far your best bet to get your monies worth

Advertisement