Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agency taking over tenancy

Options
  • 28-02-2024 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi all,

im my current accommodation, we rent room individually each with a separate contract. This is fine as I plan on staying here another 6 months. The landlord has handed over the tenancy to a letting agency who want us to sign a new lease for the house as a whole with all tenants under the one lease.

How does this impact me if I have to sign a 12 month lease but want to leave in 6 months?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you've been in the property for at least six months already then you're under no obligation to sign a new fixed term lease; you have security of tenure under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act and your landlord can only end your tenancy for certain allowable reasons. The ending of a fixed term lease or your declining to sign a new lease isn't one of those reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Singing up to a joint tenancy makes you jointly and severally liable. You could end up paying your flatmates share of the rent and or/bills. You may have a problem with a part 4 as you are not the tenant of a dwelling.

Advertisement