Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Financial Sweetners are the Parties Offering in the 2024 June Elections?

Options
  • 27-02-2024 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

I got a local election flyer for Sinn Fein for the June local elections promising "€2000 back into your pocket" for every citizen that pays rent.

Not much of an incentive if you're a mortgage payer.

Any other financial sweetners/vote buyers being offered by the parties in the run up to June 2024?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're council and European elections, there's nothing to promise - they don't affect the Dáil mathematics.

The only thing councillors can do that impacts your pocket is if you are a home owner; they can vary the property tax slightly. That's it. MEPs can do nothing that affects it.

Only parties/independents with no concept of what the job is, or those trying to deceive you, will promise anything more than that. Decide for yourself which, or both, apply to that SF leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

@L1011 Thanks for that. Yes indeed, I raised an eybrow at that. Somewhat concerinng (iMO) that voters may and will be swayed by such a short term juicy carrot rather than considering the long term economic future. I'll be interested to see what other fast buck vote-getting inducements will be offered by other parties, none of which I'm likely to be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If they come around and repeat that promise, make sure they explain exactly how they're going to deliver it.

Plenty of politicians love to throw out these lines and count on the fact that people aren't going to follow up on the how.

Its on the Sinn Fein promotional flyer.

Quote: Time for Change. "We will put one months's rent (up to €2,000) back into renter's pockets and ban increases for 3 years".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Another shameless populist Sinn Fein piece of propaganda. If every single councillor in the country was of the Sinn Fein persuasion, they still couldn't keep that promise, as it is a matter for the Oireachtas, and not for either local councils or the European parliament.

The kindest way of interpreting it is that Sinn Fein head office doesn't understand the separation of powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ironically in Dublin, SF councillors are a major brake on new homes getting built, but they'll do anything to make the current government look worse.

The €2000 euro thing is the most blatant lie I've seen in politics since the 80s.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement