Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good online source for cheap rims for a spare tyre

Options
  • 27-02-2024 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to understand wheel sizes in order to get one and matching tyre for a spare for my used car.

The owner's manual says for summer tyres (good enough, this is a spare), the specs are:

Tyre:

BA 225/45 R17 91 V

Wheel:

BA 7.5Jx17 H2 ET 52.5

The wheel spec, from my googling, seems like an ordinary passenger car rim - 7.5" wide, J means passenger car, H2 is a 'double hump' design and again seems like 'ordinary passenger car.'

I've looked at a couple of sites, it seems that ET 52.5 wheels are more expensive than lower numbers which are all over the place (ET 38, ET 30, ET 45). Apparently, the lower the ET, the more the rim protrudes, which doesn't sound good.

Thanks. If its not obvious, I'm a complete noob at this. I did call the local wrecker to see if he had a rim for the car, no luck.

FWIW car is 2017 Mercedes B180

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Oponeo has a selection of wheels. I doubt you’ll get a 17 inch steel one though. Do Mercedes stock a spare wheel kit for that model that you could get at the dealer?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Does the profile matter much? The spare wouldn't be on long.

Tyreleader.ie seems to have closer matching alloy wheels; agreed, haven't seen anything in a steel wheel, so be it.

Hadn't thought of calling a dealer, thanks! Bought the car from a local garage, it's been a great car so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭standardg60

You need the pcd, it will be 5xsomething.

If you put that into wheelfitment.eu it will give you a list of cars that use it, anything will do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

Just get one from a scrapyard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Someone else here may know but if you are worried about punctures and not having a spare, could you change the tyres of run flats?

I had a BMW, obviously they are the standard tyre on them, got a big slice in the tyre side wall one day and it easily drove nearly 50km to the nearest open tyre bay.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Have a look on adverts/donedeal for a cheap secondhand set. I have seen a few sets where 1 or 2 are cracked etc going really cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

I’m sorry but you must not have tried hard enough. Kilkock scrapyard have hundreds of Mercedes on site that you can take an alloy wheel or a spare wheel from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

Your PCD is the important bit of information OP. In your case it's centre bore 66.6mm and PCD 5x112.

Is there any particlar reason you want a full size alloy spare? It there even room for it in the boot, even if they do have a spare wheel well a lot of cars now only allow room for spacesavers?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Looks like 'sparewheels.ie' (recommended by Dealer in Dublin) has what I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Do you need a spare wheel anymore? once you keep the tires decent on the car the chances of a flat are tiny. Most cars come with 24 hour recovery from insurance and I know because I service with VW they also provide a 24 hour recovery service as part of the service over the next 12 months I think.

I don't see the point in lugging around a spare tire, I bought a little compressor with a battery(same as drill etc) and have that in boot. A lot neater and lighter

In saying that I don't think I had a puncture in years but I am a bit obsessive about the tires on the car and keep them always with a good thread etc and buy the top brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I had good tyres on my car, hit a pothole this week and put a hole in my tyre no repair kit/ compressor could fix.

Had to get breakdown etc and was hours late for work.

I've ordered a space saver now.

Had 2 irreparable punctures last year (different car) within 2 weeks of each other, one 2 days before 1 week holiday that involved parking the car at the airport! Punctures happen, tyres weren't particularly old and under 20k miles on them, Dunlop Sport Blue Response model tyres in fact, maybe 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I am a little different so, I wouldn't be putting 20k miles on them and keeping them on a car for 3 years.

Im changing the tires normally every 2 years or so. They are not that expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

Mine that was destroyed this week was bought in November, about 7k on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

Most punctures must be potholing or kerbing nowadays barring the odd slip of a knife or cheap import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

What is the average tyre mileage now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My A7 has a spacesaver and I'd much rather a full size alloy like the prior A6 had to be honest.

I do a lot of motorway driving and often late at night on a weekend (like I will be later on for example). Trundling home at 80 km/h for 160 km in the dark is not something I'd particularly relish.

Unfortunately there's not enough physical space (unless I want to take up the boot itself) for a proper wheel.

Stupid EU emissions regulations.

Advertisement