Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Resolved] BoardsBottler disputing warnings in the GAA forum

Options
  • 26-02-2024 10:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A thread for BoardsBottler to dispute a recent series of warnings in the GAA forum.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i logged in today only to find 5 notifications consecutively one after the other and my warning level jump from 0 to 4, a moderator in the GAA thread called ShamoBuc Shot gun blasted a bunch of my posts.

i'm not a fan of GAA and neither is the OP of the thread, OP then asked a basic question about why gaa non-champion games are not being sold out, then went on to compare it to priemer league uk football or something. i made posts brain storming possible ideas as to why, in an attempt to help the op get an answer, and a view from an outsiders looking in perspective that is pure and not tainted by any bias of being a gaa fan.

i logged in to see 5 notifications from the mod, 4 of them being warnings with points attached all directly one after another without me even being able to have the chance to be able to say or do anything since the first one. and he goes on to accuse me of trolling in all 5 notifications.

i was hoping to get the issue cleared up and resolved by contacting him and explaining i was'nt trolling, but he still seems to think otherwise. i tried resolving this with him but sadly no luck. i cannot dispute any of this by creating a thread either, as it says i'm jailed and can't make new discussions. thus thankfully spear was able to make this thread for my dispute.

its feels like its a case of "GAA fans reporting a non gaa fan out of malice just to get them out of the forum/off their thread". Feels like gate keeping i'm not exactly sure. i deny any accusation of trolling on those posts. its easy for someone to point the finger and accuse something/some opinion/someone they dont like, of trolling. its something that gets thrown around too much these days.

it seems people who are fans of GAA ganged up and mass reported my posts, due to their bias of being pro-gaa, and not liking an outsider trying to help the op come to find an answer to his question. i even asked the other gaa fans questions and showed i was willing/interested in learning more about it in hopes of an answer being brought out that solves the whole purpose of the thread. Despite being insulted by them and engaging keeping a level head. i still get punished and banned from the thread, and given a massive warning with 4 points that does'nt expire until 26th of march. Quite harsh for something so sudden. No chance for anything inbetween these either. just a jump from 0 warning points to 4, and all based on different views/opinions and lack of gaa experiance being biasedly classed as "trolling" as the excuse to justify getting me out of that thread and slapped with a massive amount of warnings 1 after another instantaneously. Shot gun blasted 4 in a row.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I won't be dealing with this as the Sports CMod - Admins have been informed and will look into it when they are available.

Awesome, thanks! hopefully this can be resolved, because this is'nt fair.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Hi BoardsBottler, I'll look at this for you. Can you send me a copy of the PMs between you and the moderator, or post them here. Screenshots will do.

Thanks

• Advertisement

@BoardsBottler I've reviewed your posts and the PMs and I can't say that you are not deliberately trolling users on the site. You live in Ireland. You seem to be au fait with other aspects of Irish society so I find it very difficult to believe you are completely clueless to the set up of the GAA. Even when you got replies you persisted with a trolling line of questioning.

You got a number of warnings in quick succession because you posted a number of trolling posts in quick succession. The warnings are a means of getting your attention and asking you to consider your style of posting. The moderator actually held off on warning another post because they knew it would trigger an automatic siteban. I advise you to consider your posts before clicking the "Post Comment" button.

I don't buy your innocent routine, and your profile picture of a troll isn't exactly helping your case.

In this instance I'm upholding the warnings applied.

i have absolutely no knowledge of gaa, i have never taken part in sports and quite honestly don't really care about them. Never have. kwhy should that be used against me in any of this? i shouldnt be required to know anything about "irish culture", and using that along with "living in ireland" should'nt be a factor used against me in any of this either.

Yes i do live in ireland, i created this boards account to access recycling related things in ireland (bottles and can based) was the whole purpose of its creation, you can see proof of that with my first ever posts made here, along with my activity in all the other recycling and DRS based posts. What has any of this even got to do with anything? i don't see the relevence of any of this location info, or my user picture got to do with any of this. And my picture is of a toy doll from my child hood. my mother had a collection of those as a kid and lost them, then recently my grandmother who passed had kept one in her possesion all these years and in her will gave the doll to my mother. Was very nostalgic and centimental, she called it her "good luck troll". the doll in the picture is'nt the exact doll that was given to my mother as i have'nt seen my mother in quite the while, but when i heard the news about the doll i was happy/delighted and brought a tear to my eye. so in honor of her i went to looking online for picks of the doll and found one closest to it, and set it as my userpic. this was recent too, if you're able to see the history or upload date on my userpic you can verify that this was recent and not always the same picture. But again what has this got to do with any of this? my name or picture or location should have no influnce and nothing to do with being banned from a thread or given warnings, its irellevent information?

"You seem to be au fait with other aspects of Irish society so I find it very difficult to believe you are completely clueless to the set up of the GAA"

i've even asked, an admitted to being willing to learn these things as seen in the post. i should'nt be punished for not having knowledge on GAA related things. i don't even go into the gaa forums, NEVER typed there before. i only seen it show up on the main menu after logging in and commented on the thread as the title of the thread caught my eye. you can even check my browsing history on this site. i never go to the gaa forums. it asked a question i felt needed an outside/unbiased/non-gaa influnced response, something pure and with no knowledge of gaa looking in from an outsiders point of view, something i believed i could provide entirely. if i knew all this hassle would have came from the gaa thread i never would have typed there to begin with. trying to help and i get into deep trouble, not even worth the hassle. thats what i get for attempting to partake. already had a lack of interest of gaa to begin with, if anything this whole experience is the final nail in that coffin for me.

i would like to know whats so difficult about a person being clueless about gaa? living in the same country does'nt mean one should know a thing about gaa, unless they go activly looking for it. and its not common for a person to go activly looking for something they have entirely no interest in. you would be surprised how many people don't even know what offside means in soccer, or think it means the balls is offside rather than the player not being where they're supposed to be. And soccer is even more popular, only proving this point further.

i still find the concept of gaa players not being paid bonkers and baffling, if anything, asking why tickets are not sold out at every game is trolling. if there was money and payment for players, it would be incentive for people to actually learn how to play gaa and become part of the sport. People compared it to football, but it cannot be compared as football players have talent coming in from other counteries to play, ireland i doubt does for gaa, and if there is no money incentive then there's really no reason for someone to come overseas and learnt o play gaa. Lack of funds severly impacts this, but the people on the thread were complaining about dublin being dominating others, and lack of players, and people from listed countys (i cant see which as thread isnt visible to me due to warning) having to come from outside of those area's just to go to a game. if its all this much bother, then why the questions for that thread? alot of the questions on that thread seem to answer themself.

there was a premise in that thread of "people would rather go see champion ship games and the big games instead", in that case it only begs the question to an oputsider, the reasoning that (i had thought) its because they wanted to get their monies worth. it would make sense if a person only went to big games because of wanting to get their bang for their buck, until someone else had pointed out to me that gaa tickets are actually cheap or something. one would assume without that knowledge that it were expensivem since people in that thread compared it to premier league (which expensive) and one even mentioned super bowl (american thing i also admit to have little to no knowledge on)

I have no association with GAA. I've never played it. Yet I know the answer to a lot of the questions you asked. I also know the reason your suggestions won't work. I assume you do too.

The warnings stand. If you have no interest in GAA then staying away from the forum shouldn't be that difficult for you. Same as someone who doesn't understand the offside rule is unlikely to bother offering suggestions in the soccer forum.

I am not going to debate the setup of the GAA and the amateur v professional argument with you. That's not what this thread is for.

For someone who professes to know nothing about the sport, I find it difficult that you claim to be "trying to help". Have you ever heard the proverb 'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread'? There are thousands of people all over the country involved in the organisation of the GAA. I think someone who claims to have zero interest in it, but yet thinks they can help solve any perceived issues in the association by their suggestions and postings are foolish at best, trolling at worst.

If you have no interest and regret posting there, may I suggest you stay away from the forum and the thread and not offer any more helpful suggestions.

@SteM I've deleted your post. Only the poster disputing the warning and the moderator dealing with this are allowed post in DRP

i am not looking to debate gaa set up vs preimier league soccer, my point was the same how people don't understand a basic set up related to that, and its a more populor game than gaa. was the point i am trying to make. Expecting me to know gaa just because i live in ireland is unreasonable. if i have no interest in it, should'nt that be obvious i would'nt know about it? i was honest and open even at the start of my posts in stating that, which im being punished for,

whoever knows more knowledge about gaa than me, should not matter. you saying you know more about gaa than me, why?

and yes i do stay away from gaa forums, like i said in my response above, i only went into that specific thread because it was displayed on main menu upon logging in, for all to see. The question/thread/title itself is bait, if they already know the answer then why they ask the question? and if they do'nt know the answer, the logic of "not knowing x thing about gaa despite being irish" which you're using, crumbles.

___

look things are being heated. is there any room for compromise in this? you're accusing me of trolling because i know nothing about gaa (or because claim to know nothing about gaa) and say you find it hard to believe. This feels very much a bad faith action, and being called trolling and having my user pic and location brought into the argument against me to further accuse me of trolling, when the mods have a pop eye user pic, and you have bag of chips in your username which can easily be just as much accused of being trolling. To accuse someone of trolling is very much thrown around these days, and there would have to be some sort of comedic element to it. i fail to see how any of "not knowing about gaa" is trolling? is it being assumed i have lived all my life in ireland or something? and still was has my life or hsitory got to do with any of this?

is there any chance of compromise, to even cutting the warning points down to 2 or 1? it was all acquired very sudden without any chance/choice of myself being able to do anything inbetween any of the warnings issued. just a shotgun blast of warnings out of my control. i promise to never type in any gaa threads again. i've learned that lesson. its unfair i should be punished for not knowing about gaa. and as seen in the posts i even asked after others responsed negtively, and told them i was willing to learn. and asked on things i did not know about. how more reasonabel is it possible for me to have been in that situation?

• Advertisement

Iam looking through your posts and finding it very difficult to find which one I could remove a warning from.

An example of some of the things you posted.. in the GAA forum:

- Just get rid of hurling and GAA. And all can go to soccer instead. or other sports. 

- i would be interested in seeing GAA being included in a census of some sort in the future. Perhaps have the fate of the game come down to something like cheaper ticket prices or else scrapping it entirely if enough people vote for it to be abolished

- why dont the other teams consider looking for overseas talent and shipping in players from other counteries? why not have them go scouting and offering good pay?

I cannot remove any warnings for these posts as they are clearly trolling.

I will compromise and remove one point for your first warning on that thread. As it wasn't as blatantly trolling as these posts. I suggest you stay away from the GAA forum though. By your own admission you're "not a GAA fan". You "have no interest in it". The suggestion that the whole organisation, that is in every parish in Ireland, should be gotten rid of by someone who claims to know nothing about it and have no interest in it cannot be described as anything other than trolling.

I will remove the first point as a gesture of goodwill. The other 3 will remain. They will expire on 18th March. If you pick up two more points before that date you will be temporarily sitebanned.

Thank you. responding to the rest of what you wrote: when i asked about why dont they consider looking for overseas talent and shopping for players in other counteries and suggested scouting like other sports do, this was BEFORE being informed in the thread that there is no pay for GAA players. it was being compared by others to other sports, other paid sports, so i had assumed gaa players were being paid to play too. This is'nt trolling as we see with alot of uk soccer teams they have players that come from other counteries, as seen when the world cup comes on alot of premiere league players go back to playing for their own country. and often every so often it comes up in the news papers that x team has hired x player for x amount of money. clearly now this isnt the case for gaa as people since then in the thread made it clear they dont get paid, after i wrote that. one would easily assume people get paid for taking part in a sport which is a reasonable mistake to make. i honestly had no idea playing gaa was on a voluntary basis. my bad on that, i put my hands up for not knowing.

the census comment was just something i made in heat of the moment and seemed like a suggestion at the time, as it felt i was being attacked for not being into (or understanding) gaa, so to show i was'nt the only one, i felt a census surrounding gaa would be fair, and would prove i'm not the only person in ireland thats not into gaa. Maybe getting rid of it is a bit extreme yes, but my point with that post was to show i'm not the only one whos not into gaa. Also if this census was to be used as an example to demonstate such, it would not be just one persons voice or feelings but rather a more fair representation of what the people in the country think overall. the census could be just a tally, simular to religion in the census, being down just to show what the people of the country think, but not to get rid of anything, just to show example/demonstation purposes of how many people percentage wise are interested and how many are not.

it's clear at this point the purpose of the thread (asking: why isnt gaa selling out every game?) is clearly an issue that comes down to funding of the sport, or lack of. i don't even play gaa or have an interest in this, and was able to unbiasedly point this out (something the gaa fans actually failed to point out to the op) my line of questions asking about "why dont they scout for players/pay more" and "asking about ticket prices/costs" actually contributed more to answering the thread and the op's question, than the bias of gaa fans comments themself. Is it really trolling if it helps contribute towards getting an answer for the OP of the thread, while at the same time learning a thing or two myself along the way? people learn from asking questions. i shouldnt be punnished for this or accused of trolling, for asking about something i had no knowledge of. in this case, GAA.

I have made my decision regarding the warnings. I am not interested in discussing the thread, other posters, questions asked etc. I am discussing your warnings and why they were applied.

I have removed 1 of the warnings. The other warnings will remain. You are advised to stay away from the GAA forum. You have made it clear you are not interested in the sport. Calls for abolishing the whole organisation and moving to soccer is completely ridiculous and not any sort of workable suggestion. (Trolling)

I will mark this as resolved now as there is nothing more to discuss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement