Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Air - Refurb vs New

Options
  • 26-02-2024 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently contemplating getting a MacBook Air after owning multiple HPs.

I’m torn between purchasing a refurbished MacBook Air (2017) in ‘excellent condition’ or a brand new one.

How long do MacBooks last on average? Are refurbished decent at all? Or should I buy brand new?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭tom23

you would pick up a brand new M1 macbook air on adverts for close to 820. wouldn’t touch a 2017 refurbished air. i’d only buy refurbished of Apple, buying a 2017 apart from been a ball of shite and chronically under powered will be obsolete in a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

You're torn between buying a 7 year old laptop vs a new one?

How is this even a question?

Id say cost maybe… Personally I’d recommend anyone buying a M1 over an older intel version. Good value to be had on M1 macbook airs, might even pick a really decent used m1 pro for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

What’s an M1? You’re speaking to a complete noob here 😂

Apples own processors.

https://www.adverts.ie/33101536

• Advertisement

You will pick up a decent second hand one for around 550/600. Buy new if you can. M1 is great on battery life, and you are future proof yourself. Dot get me wrong i use a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro and there’s life in it… but I have a M1 pro as my daily driver. No comparison.

That’s really good info. Really appreciate it.

I think I might go for a new one. Battery life is something I’m concerned about with refurbs. Ideally, I’d like to keep it for at least 5 years which I’m not sure is feasible with a refurb because a lot of them go bust after two years regardless of brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

The only Mac I would ever suggest buying refurbished is one direct from Apple's own website. Honestly, nearly all "refurbished" tech sold online hasn't actually been refurbished - unless it has been done by the manufacturer.

(Also, do not buy a Mac with an Intel processor)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭ffocused

If going for a new one, I would suggest holding off for a few weeks as there could be a new M3 MacBook Air released during Apples March event.

If a new one is released, existing stock of M1 and M2 Airs will get a price reduction.

As others had already said, stay away from the 2017 model or any Airs with Intel processors and if going used look for M1 Air at minimum which is the 2020 model.

• Advertisement

both comments above are sound advice. Apple is the only place to buy refurb. I’ve been buying refurbs for years meself

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭user302243

Would agree, don't buy an Intel only M Chip mac.

And buy refurbished from Apple. https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/refurbished/mac

I've bought countless Macs from there, only ever had one with an issue that Apple immediately fixed.

And they look and feel brand new with the exact same warranty

Thank you all.

Very helpful advice. I’m such a novice when it comes to MacBooks, so appreciate all the help.

I won’t buy a refurb then and wait until March in case there is a new release. If not, I’ll probably buy a brand new one making sure it’s not Intel. I wasn’t even aware Intel was a thing with MacBooks! It’s good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭ffocused

New M3 MacBook Air now available starting at €1350 and M2 model is now €1250

you also have the option of Apple Certified Refurbished M1 model for €950 which will be like a new laptop if looking to spend a little less.

Advertisement