Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay tree beyond help

Options
  • 26-02-2024 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

We inherited two bay trees with our house and we’re lovely lollipop trees - I fear we may have since killed them as we do not have green fingers. Should I cut the bark down towards the stem or leave alone and see what happens - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not an expert but those pots look far too small for the size of the trees - repotting might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Pots are probably too small alright. Repot a few sizes up and use a good well drained compost. Don't over feed. Bay regrows easily enough. I had a big one burnt by frost years ago and cut it to the base. While I was waiting to get the root removed it regrew into a very nice shrub. Keep it out of the wind and morning sun. Protect from severe frost with a little fleece.

You need to be careful pruning to keep the shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

thanks guys for all the info

Advertisement