Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you quieten a Delkevic exhaust?

Options
  • 26-02-2024 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Fitted a lovely Delkevic to a Deauville as the original one was rotting away at the joints. However, even with the baffle in, it seems very loud (and I don't mind loud exhausts but this seems a bit much).

Is there any way of making the baffle a bit more effective? Or do the exhausts tend to change tone in some way over time and become less aggressive as they bed in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

You could remove the baffle and add a bit of wadding tied with wire around it.

Or get a longer or wider baffle made up if there's room inside the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

That's a good idea Zebbedee. The thought had crossed my mind but I dismissed it thinking that the wadding couldn't be secured on the baffle but maybe it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

There are these things called DBKIllers that are an extra baffle that can be placed inside the end can to baffle things a bit more. It is common to use them on track days to meet noise limits, especially in the UK. Would be worth a look.

As per usual, get them from a good supplier as there are many fakes out there that look the same but do not do the job. Any of the big exhaust makers, supply them.

Oh interesting. Are these the things which slip into the end of the link pipe before you slip the silencer on and tighten it all up?

To be honest, the noise doesn't seem so offensive anymore. I've either gotten used to it, the sound is better under load and on the road than it is out in my back yard, or else maybe a bit of carbon buildup in the exhaust has smoothed out the sound a bit.

I never imagined a Deauville would sound so nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If you were starting it in the back yard it might have been echoing. My 600F is in the bark garden at the moment and the exhaust on that isn't loud but if I start it out there you'd think it had a stubby can on it.

I assume you have the baffle in, if it's still too loud you might need a longer one (hurr hurr)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Yep, they usually go in with a little screw or a clip. depending what you have.

Exactly - when out the back, there's an echo, the sound is bouncing off of walls and I'm conscious that I shouldn't be annoying neighbours (shame not all of them reciprocate that).

When out on the road, under load, it actually sounds lovely. And it's not bad in town, adds a bit of presence to the bike but not too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

V twin with a loud exhaust.

What's not to love? 😁

Agreed!

Initially I thought it didn't suit the gentlemanly air of the venerable old Deau but actually......that venerable gentleman is a bit of a dark horse in the corners!

Advertisement