Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seeking Advice: 2018 BMW 3 Series 330e Sport Saloon vs 2017 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI

Options
  • 26-02-2024 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm considering two cars but am unsure which one is the better choice in terms of value, performance, and long-term investment.

Option 1: BMW 3 Series 330e Sport Saloon (2018)

Price: 23950 €

Type: Petrol Plug-in Hybrid

• Mileage: 66,546 km
    • Warranty: 2 years (from BMW Approved Used Cars dealer)
    • Concerns: How well does this model hold its value as a second-hand car?

Option 2: Audi A4 2.0 TFSI (2017)

Price: 24950 €

• Mileage: 26,000 km
    • Warranty: 1 year
    • Key Features: 360 Degree Camera,
    • Notes: It's from an unauthorized dealer. I'm a bit concerned about after-sales service and support.
    • Concerns: What's the resale value trend for this model?

• Final Option 3 : Audi A3 1.4 Tfsi Automatic (2019) Mileage: 34,000 km
    • Price: €25,950
    • Warranty: 1 year
    • Key Features: 360 Degree Camera,
    • Notes: It's from an unauthorized dealer. I'm a bit concerned about after-sales service and support.
    • Concerns: What's the resale value trend for this model?

I'm trying to understand not only their current performance and reliability but also how well these models retain their value over time. For those who have experience with either of these cars, how did they fare in the second-hand market just in case I wanted to change them afterwards. Were they easy to resell, and did they maintain a good portion of their value?

Additionally, I'm interested in maintenance costs, overall driving experience, and any specific issues I should be aware of before making a purchase.

Thank you in advance for your help and for sharing your knowledge!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,385 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 330e is by far the riskiest of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

Two Audis are Japanese imports?

330e from that year is still an f30 with small battery and issues with hybrid system. Unless plugging in every day to save on fuel, petrol Audis are better choice. Also Audis will be well equipped and very good condition if indeed Japanese cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If you can stretch your budget to a 2019 330e it should be the new model which is a fair step forward. Nicer interior, better electric only range.

If not I'd go for the A4, but that's just personal choice. That BMW interior is very dated, that's the only reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Those are very low mileage figures, are you sure they are all km and not miles. Lots of dealers advertise in miles

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tenigma

• Advertisement

They are japanese imports, that is why they have low mileages

Does 2 year guarantee from Frank Keane would cover the risks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The BMW AUC warranty is very good, but it would be well worth checking with the dealer if the battery is also fully covered for those two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Battery is not covered under the AUC warranty afaik. It is only covered under the original manufacturer battery warranty of up to 8 years or 100k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Pretty sure that's the newer hybrids, the one in question would be 6 years or 100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry, yes you are correct.

Thank you very much for sharing your insights and advice; it's truly appreciated.

I have just one concern: would an A4 be too large for navigating through Dublin traffic? Most of the time, I will be traveling alone, though occasionally there may be some passengers.

Aside from that, I'm really inclined towards the A4 compared to the A3, even though the A3 is a newer model and I think it might hold its resale value better than the A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's not a huge car but it's not a city car. I had an A6 which is a bit bigger and the only place I found it a bit big was taking those tight turns in multi story car parks in Dublin, out on the street it was fine. I can do them no problem now in my cupra born which is shorter, I'm not going to even try in the Etron.

But that depends on you. Parallel parking might be tricky if you're not great at that.

I checked with the dealer and told that the batter is under the warranty too.

I am so indecisive about which car to take. In terms of reliability and trade in value, I am close to staying with A3. However I like the A4 most, I think it fits well to as I am 6'3 and although I travel alone mostly, someone would sit behind me if needed.

What car would you suggest- May be BMW although having high mileage with 2 year warrant can be most optimal one, just outdated interior puts me off a bit.

What you guys thing ? Thanks a lot for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I don't have much confidence in BMW's outside of warranty, let alone a hybrid. I would take an A4 over an A3, just that bit more comfortable and a nice place to be inside. Having said that the 1.4 TSI as opposed to the 2 L, it'll be cheaper to run and an easier car to sell down the line.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a4/fpa/3566795?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 23,273 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Most sensible choice A3 although not familiar with that engine and whether there are any known issues.

Nicest would be A4.

If bmw was the 2019 onwards model, that would be far nicer than A4 and more powerful etc but risky with the hybrid drive.

Old model 330e. Interior is shocking and pretty dated overall.

What’s shocking in F30 BMW interior? Very ergonomic drivers position and the screen at your eye level don’t have take eyes off the road. It is not touch screen but idrive controls are very useable.

I prefer this to the massive wrap around screen in a new model . Interior feel is very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,273 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hard plastics, ugly and old fashioned dash design, quite tight size wise and a manual handbrake which is 10 years plus out of date.

Always liked the idea of a 4 series but wouldn't live with interior.

If anything , there’s little hard plastic in F30 . Glove box velour inside, door carts all soft to the very bottom. Only plastic is tunnel where your gear stick is but it is not ugly. Another plastic is the glossy bits. But it cannot be non plastic:) dash is soft.

Manual handbrake is dated and no auto hold because of this, but hey you can go off road and practice your skidding skills with it:) can be a plus for some.

There’s few cars now for sale from Japan celebration edition and they have full leather dashboard with stitching, nicer leather on doors and nicer seats too .

Compare to newest cars where they do use hard plastics on doors now and vegan leather.

Still think F30 interior was great

Advertisement