Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time broadband

Options
  • 25-02-2024 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I've a family member that spends up to 6 months of the year out of the country and has only basic internet needs while they're here. Up until now they've been paying €35/month for traditional broadband year round which strikes me as pretty wasteful. I'm thinking they should just get a cheap-ish 4G router from Amazon and put in a basic €15/month (but unlimited bandwidth) PAYG SIM for the months they're here. Am I wrong? Is there a BB provider I should choose over the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Where in the country are they based when they are in Ireland? There are some local options depending on where you are, and coverage varies wildly so you should choose the provider based on performance in the building itself. In rural areas in particular a few hundred meters can make the difference as to the best choice.

Is the place unoccupied for the other 6 months of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

they're in limerick city, and the property is occupied, but the other occupant has no use for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

48.ie. 12.99 a month, rolling contract - which means, you dont pay for months you are not using it. 4G hotspot or router. Limerick is in their coverage area.

Thats about the most cost effective way to do it.

Off topic I know, but about 18 months ago I took over the admin of my fathers bills and he was paying huge amounts for things he wasnt using. He had the full Sky HD package about 140 a month, despite the only channels he ever watched were RTE1, Virgin 1, Sky News, Challenge and GOLD. So, I got that changed to the basic plan. Likewise, he had Fibre to the home, 100Mbits, but he only used the internet for email. That was another 100+ saving. So, check with them what TV subscription they might have. There could be a saving to be made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I've already set them up with a a saorview/freesat setup for TV. They weren't quite as bad as your father, but again, it was €60/month regardless if they were there or not.

Advertisement