Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wash your panels

Options
  • 25-02-2024 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I saw this posted elsewhere.

thecooldown .com /green-tech /ra in-pollen-soiling-solar-panels-study/

Annual production losses could be as much as 10%, according to the study. 15% during pollen season. I see it posted alot on here that we get rain so no need to wash. Wrong. Same rainfall here as in the study.

Wash your panels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Was reading the same article earlier today and I am about 110% sure it doesn't apply to Ireland, it's actually lashing out right now 😅

But I did have to give my shed panels a scrub a few days ago after being in the shade for like 3 months but they are low angle 10-15 degrees.

The house ones I leave to nature to sort out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Do you have solar?

I'll wash them if they ever get dirty.

They haven't. And these ones are easily reachable from the ground. I could nearly jump and touch them.

If you have a low slope or close trees there could be some merit.

Lose up to 10%? The article is very wishy washy.

If your panels are on a 2 story house?

do you hire someone? Hire a cherry picker? Any gains are likely not worth the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

One of strings is a ground mount, I'll see at the end of May if there's any pollen collecting on the panels. But call me skeptical if panels in Ireland are looking at 10% loss.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Very easy to compare year to year between different apps and smart meters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

But year to year is so variable anyway due to weather, you'll not the wood from the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Spammer!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sephiroth Crescent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Pollen is a problem here too. I'm in South Dublin and given the amount of flowering plants around here, I think in May and June of most years I'd see the green/yellow haze of pollen on any surface, especially vehicles. I for one will be cleaning my two 15-degree panels once the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Pollen isn't an issue for me but I do also have panels at 15 degrees. More likely to need a clean with the angle.

And they could do with a clean after been there a couple of years. Especially the bottom 100/150mm of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

i think if you are over 30 degrees roof angle? panels should self clean with rain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Aspect comes into play, my 45degree SW front roof panels are grand, back roof NE panels noticeably pollen/haze covered

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Same here, in Dublin too, so lots of flowering plants, meadows & opposite a heavily forested area. If my Velux windows are anything to go by I'm going to need to clean mine at least twice a year.

Anyone have any cleaning solutions? I can reach a few from the velux windows, but otherwise out of reach.

Advertisement