Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feces in attic - Pine marten?

Options
  • 25-02-2024 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Historically had issues with birds nesting in attic at a weak point in roof where hip roof joins main 2 storey roof. I patched it and no issues for a year until the last month. Noises again coming from attic, sounded like something large this time. Investigated and found bird feathers and to my shock largr feces in 2 seperate places (attached). Also seen fresh rolls of attic insulation which havent been opened yet have been torn and one has a ~8inch diameter hole ~8 inches deep in it. It also looks like insulation has been disturbed around the access site. About 2 weeks ago I seen 2 pine martens at the bottom of my garden. From a look online the feces look like a pine martens or a cat.

I placed some heavy wood at the access site in the hope this stops something getting back in but I'm doubtful.

Can anyone tell from the picture if this is from a Pine Marten?

We have a baby in the room under the access area. Really want rid of whatever this is.

Googling tells me that this needs to be sorted before March or I'll be in worse trouble with the offspring.

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

They look like it - can you include a coin or something next to it to have an idea of its size?

I was going to ask in what county, although they are now nearly everywhere and you mentioned you spotted them in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

Sorry only seeing this now. That's a ceiling joist beside the feces - coin wise the poop would be ~2 two euro coins wide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If the whole poop is about a 2 euro coin wide, it may be a bit small for pine marten. If a singe poop is that width, it may be. It would be nice to place a trail cam to confirm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Can't think of any other animal it could be. Properly blocking off any access points is all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

It seems to be from reading this. But I really only signed in to pass this on, even though you may already have read it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement