Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble claiming health expenses as PAYE employee

Options
  • 25-02-2024 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm currently trying to claim health expenses for the 2022 and 2023 tax years.

I have uploaded receipts and amounts into the receipts tracker on my account and used this information to fill in the details on my tax return for both years , I have entered the correct amount and have selected the health expenses credit and signed and declared but this is not showing in any statements of liability I've gotten nor are the health receipts in the tracker showing as claimed.

Would someone be able to help me understand what I'm missing here please?

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

I think I'm an idiot , looking at my statements of liability for both 2022 and 2023 I can see the 20% relief now listen under tax credit section for both years

I assume I'll get that as a refund in the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LF22

Look for "result" and "Treatment of Result" on the front page of your Statement of Liability. That's where you should see the amount of any refund to issue.

The health expenses aren't showing there..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LF22

It shows a refund for health insurance relief.

I also claimed for health insurance relief and that is the only refund that sol shows as forthcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is a screenshot of part of page 1.

See the heading Treatment of Result.

Hey thanks for that.

Yeah there's no sign of the tax relief for health expenses there , I guess I must not be eligible for it I wonder why.

I'll ask revenue about this anyway , appreciate the help.

The tax relief on medical expenses is listed on page 2, see panel 4:

Yeah that's exactly what mine looks like on my own statement of liability.

Does this mean I will get that figure back?

Sorry if I come across as thick I only learnt about claiming tax relief on Monday gone.

Post edited by daheadonu on

If the health expenses are listed in panel 4, and the amount is correct, then you will get tax relief on those medical expenses.

That does NOT mean that you will get that exact amount in a tax rebate.

The balancing statement takes into account all your incomes, other tax credits, etc.

All of them are put together, and the outcome is displayed on page 1.

By the way, with respect, are you saying that you have only recently learned that tax relief is available on most medical expenses in Ireland?

• Advertisement

By the way, are all your other tax credits correct?

Are you checking them every year?

The one that many people miss is the "flat-rate expenses allowance"

noted , I appreciate having someone with experience help me out.

Yeah I only learnt last week but luckily Health expenses only started accuring beginning in 2022.

I've been kicking myself over this I do feel very stupid

This is what my section 4 of statement of liability for 2023 looks like with 20% of the health expenses i entered there , same for the 2022 sol.

I was confused because that I assumed the health reciepts I uploaded for 2022 and 2023 would get claimed like the ones I uploaded for current year 2024.

And yeah I'll look into the flat rate expenses aswell.

Advertisement