Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi (family) EV Insurance

Options
  • 25-02-2024 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭

I know it's not EV specific, but I figured I would get the best audience here.

We are a 2 EV household (24 Leaf and Model 3) at the moment, with myself and OH having a policy on 1 of the cars. I commute to work. My OH works locally, so uses the car for shopping, kids activities etc.

Our eldest son has his full license and is in college. He uses the Leaf to get to work during the summer. Our eldest daughter has her learners permit in the post and will be soon learning to drive.

We both have a policy with Aviva, so more than likely our Daughter will avail of the Aviva driving school lessons which includes 6 months insurance for ~€600. It costs around €800 to add our son as a named driver to either of our policies. He has 1 full year named driver NCD.

In no time at all, my OH will often find herself with no car, so I wonder what the best solution is. I would like to add another EV to the family. Most likely a 40 Leaf, or Ionic.

My question is (especially for those with 3+ cars) what is the best way to insure multiple cars while having the kids on the policy/policies? The kids would only be driving the 24 Leaf, but having the option to let them drive whatever car is available, rather than tying them to one car would be ideal. Though I don't think they will be touching the Tesla 🤣

I'm also toying with the idea of getting an i3 as a run around. I think it would be a perfect addition to the house.

I'm just thinking out loud here. What do you do/suggest?

Stay Free

Advertisement