Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we screw a post crown instead of only cementing it to prevent it from falling ?

Options
  • 25-02-2024 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My lateral incisor teeth of the right broke some years ago because previously I have a decay and it was repaired and I think that during the repair the nerve of the teeth was removed and for this reason this tooth was weakened and as a consequence finally it broke and it remains only the root of the tooth in my gum.

Some years ago a dentist drilled a hole in the root and cemented in it a crown with a rod what I think is called a 'post crown'

However, because this crown with a rod was cemented but not screwed in the root of the teeth it finally felled out. It was cemented back several times but it kept felling out.

Finally, I remained during a period of time without putting back this post crown and when I wanted to put it back the root of the teeth should have moved and I was not anymore able to insert this crown with a rod into the hole in the root of the tooth.

I would like to know if it is possible that instead of cementing a crown with a rod in the hole of the root of a tooth to screw it so that it does not fell

I need to know this to know if I have to extract this root of tooth or I can keep it to screw in it a post crown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't think any random poster on boards is going to be able to answer your question.

Get a second opinion from an actual dentist if you're not happy with the advice/treatment by your current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Walk1

I would like to know only if we can screw a post crown in the root of a tooth instead of only cementing it

English is not my first language so I am worried if I ask this question to my dentist because he may not understand me properly and it is why I ask this question in writing in this forum

Write your question down, get it checked by someone you trust who speaks English, and show it to your dentist. Ask him/her to write or email their advice, and get it checked also so you're clear what it says.

Much better than borderline medical advice from random strangers on the internet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Heidi is correct, while in general it may or may not be possible.

the dentist looking in your mouth is the best person to answer for your specific case

• Advertisement

but you could be this who "someone you trust who speaks English"?

Moreover, I request technical advice not medical advice

I do not ask for medical advice because the information that I request does not concern only me.

It is a technical issue about whether or we can screw a post crown on the root of a broken tooth and not only cement it.

Hence, the only thing I need to know is whether or not we can screw a post crown on the root of a broken too instead of only cementing it

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Is it possible to screw a post crown in the root of a tooth instead of cementing it?

ChatGPT response:

Screwing a post crown into the root of a tooth instead of cementing it is not a typical dental procedure. Post crowns are typically cemented into the root canal of a tooth to provide support and stability for a dental crown that sits atop the tooth. Cementing ensures a secure fit and helps to prevent leakage and bacterial infiltration.

However, there are some instances where screw-retained crowns may be used in dental implant procedures. In these cases, a dental implant is surgically placed into the jawbone, and a crown is attached to the implant via a screw. This is a different scenario from placing a crown directly into the root canal of a natural tooth.

It's essential to consult with a qualified dentist or endodontist to determine the best treatment plan for your specific dental needs. They can assess your situation and recommend the most appropriate course of action, which may involve traditional cementation or other alternative methods if necessary.

The reason why I would like to know if we can screw a post crown in the root of a broken tooth is because to use an implant is too expensive and to cement it has failed because I already had a post crown cemented in my right broken lateral incesor tooth but it fell.

• Advertisement

OK, my last post on this one....

I don't know, I'm not a dentist, so I can't say.

Chat GPT has said it is possible, but consult a dentist for your particular case.

I'm guessing a dentist would say similar - it is possible in theory (I suspect it's possible to do anything in theory), but without knowing your particular case it's not possible to say.

Which brings me back to my first reply to you - you need to talk to an actual dentist, in real life, who can look at your mouth and your tooth and decide on the actual facts what is the best course of action.

Best of luck with it.

The problem could be to where this lateral incisor broken tooth is positioned because I have in the side band back teeth crowns which are cemented and they do not fall but crowns which are cemented in the lateral incisor and front teeth it does not work because they fall because of the bite and it could better to have them screwed or to have implants but implants are very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Walk1, only a dentist looking into your mouth can help you...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Though I cannot give you a definitive answer relating to your tooth for obvious reasons, it is unlikely that a post can be screwed into the root

Firstly, the post alone will not be enough to hold a crown in, you need a ferule, part of the tooth to physically connect the crown onto. Given that you had a previous crown which debonded and was recemented a number of times, in all probability the root is wrecked.

Secondly, if the crown has been off for an extended period, the root canal filling is probably compromised and quite possibly there is decay in the root from debris getting stuck in it.

Thirdly, there is a type of screw in post called a dentatus screw, but the lateral incisor is a narrow root and the dentatus screws are notorious for splitting roots as they are wound in. If that happens, it’s instant extraction. For this reason they are rarely used, I haven’t seen one for 20yrs and don’t even know if they are still available.

Lastly, you would need a new crown to fit on a compromised root, dodgy screw and questionable root treatment. That’s a lot of money for something that you will be told could be in your hand in the not to distant future. The dentist will make you aware of the risks and better alternatives, so there will be no comeback/refund if it does not work.

I would like to know also if it is better to extract the root of my lateral incisor right tooth which is broken or to leave it as it is because it does not hurt me because the nerve of this tooth was removed several years ago when a decay was repaired and I read that when the root of a tooth is extracted there is always the risk that the adjacent teeth are damaged.

Hence, I would like to know if it is worthwhile to take this risk

Advertisement