Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to clean windows?

Options
  • 24-02-2024 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭

So the sun's out and shows up how filthy my windows are.

Went outside to clean them with one of those windows sprays. Used kitchen roll and wipe down and to my eye all looked clean.

Come inside to look out and they look terrible, see attached photos.

Lot of smears etc.

So tried wetting again and using a window vac. Still lot of marks showing.

Tried a microfibre cloth, and that helped a lot.

Anyone got any tips to bring windows up without any marks? Should I try nesspaper to dry off? Or is it the fact that I need to use distilled water to get perfect shine?

Would love to find the answer.

Post edited by NIMAN on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Have you hard water in your area? I always find that makes it hard to get them clean.

Otherwise as you seem to have the window vac I'd wash with water and car windscreen cleaner fluid and use the vac. Had mine done recently by a friend who is a cleaner, there was one big picture window that never looked clean no matter what I did, that was there way of doing windows and it came out great. So much so that I'm tempted to buy one of the those vacs despite thinking when they came out that they were the silliest thing I ever saw and who would buy them! Clearly I was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A bucket of warm water, washing up liquid and a splash of vinegar. Get a squeegee (Ettore are a good make). Wash with an old tea towel, squeegee off and wipe edges with a dry cloth. Takes only a couple of minutes per window and they're clean and streak fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A bit of elbow grease and a wee bit of sweat, and it appears that the microfibre gets them pretty clean. Will stick with that for now.

Yeah we are in a hardwater area, but there's no water being used to clean them, only glass cleaning spray, so shouldn't be an issue. Plus I have a water softener installed, so anytime I do hose the windows, should hopefully not affect them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have hard water and so rinse off with distilled water from a dehumidifier and then squeegee that off. A water softener adds salt to the water.

Never thought of that. So despite the softener taking limescale out of the water, it's adding salt, which I'm sure isn't great when cleaning windows either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Decani

Another handy tip is to clean the inside and outside with different strokes i.e. horizontal vs vertical. Then, if there are smears, you'll know which is the offending side - inside or outside - instead of running in and out.

The chatbots are back.

Edit....he's deleted.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I just use a damp chatbot.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickMacca7757

When I was a young lad going back 30+ years ago I use to clean windows during the summer. Would clean the windows down with a bucket of hot water and washing up liquid and then dry them off with newspaper. Did the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭blackbox

There's no way I would use a microfibre cloth on all our windows - far too much like work.

To clean the outsides I make up a solution using vinegar, washing up liquid and rinse-aid for dishwashers.

I scrub them with this solution using a long handled brush and then hose them off from top to bottom. Luckily we have soft water. If there is a very stubborn patch I may use a scouring pad.

It's 99% perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Similar to this, when I used to wash my Granny's windows it was always done with soapy water with a little vinegar sprayed on & wiped off with newspaper bundled up. Worked fab.

I have to say though that I have one of the window vacs & it is brilliant for leaving windows & mirrors really good. Bit of soapy water, use the window vac & perfectly clean.

I have a window vac, but can't get it to work without leaving lines behind.

Biggest issue for that for me would be lack of newspapers. I haven't bought one in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Still plenty of free newspapers in bigger supermarkets.... though they did disappear during covid.

There was no shortage of papers years ago. Our newsagent use to keep us all the old papers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,412 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I wasn't disputing that newspapers aren't available, but that I don't buy them.

Wouldn't be buying an expensive paper just to polish my windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Make sure the edge is clean - I wipe it down with a cloth before hand. Never had an issue with lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you have distilled water readily available, such as from a dehumidifier, rinsing with it is as good as newspaper, if a tad slower while it evaporates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rowan Lane

Try using microfiber cloths because they work well for buffing out remaining marks. Also use newspaper to dry off because it can help minimise streaks on your windows.

Honestly, I gave up on microfibre. They don't dry properly and leave lint behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

We always used to use newspaper too but back in those days all windows were brown wood, I found the time I tried it on my white pvc framed ones it was hard to avoid getting newsprint on the white, you'd have to avoid the edges of the glass which didn't give as good a finish. I actually still buy about 4 papers per week so would have lots, maybe I'll give it another try!

Advertisement