Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed up for course but dropped out - being pursued for fees 12 months later?

Options
  • 23-02-2024 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi all -

Long time Boards member and looking for any views on my situation from fellow Boardsies please. I signed up for a course with a well known and reputable educational institution in Ireland last year. It was part time and covered 3 modules, but I dropped out after the first module (this was 2 days long) due to an abrupt change in family circumstances, which I communicated to the college at the time, and indicated that I hoped to be in a position to complete the course another time. The course was to cost about 3k, and this was due to be paid prior to commencement, but as I waiting for a new bank card I hadn't paid a deposit or any further monies before I started and then dropped out. The college are now insisting that I pay the full course fees, including examination fees for exams I never undertook, almost a year later. Can they insist on this? Any views appreciated as this is causing me a lot of stress.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"The course was to cost about 3k, and this was due to be paid prior to commencement, but as I waiting for a new bank card I hadn't paid a deposit or any further monies before I started and then dropped out"

So you signed up to a course, didn't pay for it, and now they're asking for money.

Sounds about right, but honestly its up to you whether you want to pay. I doubt they would pursue you. Why don't you call and explain? Maybe they'll agree to defer the payment until you can attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Allinall

You took a place on the course that they could have sold to someone else. I presume you signed some sort of contract committing to pay the €3k?

I also don’t believe the bank card story. Had you no credit card, online banking, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

Sounds like BS to me, pay what you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Appreciate everyone's input. I guess my point is that I can't see how they insist on me paying full fees including exam fees when I only attended one module, and it's now almost 12 months later that they are following up. Re any contract, I completed an application form for the course but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

The application form likely had the terms and conditions. Worth having a read and seeing what it says.

• Advertisement

Cheers Augme - application form was online but I'll see if I saved a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Don't ask the fees office, instead contact the course director, or the administrator of the department that was running the course. Explain your situation to them, and ask them how you could have the fees waived. If it's a public institution (University or Technical University) I think there's a good chance you'd get at least a partial waiver of the fees.

Appreciate your input lostinsuperfunk. It was a private college and they don’t seem inclined to waive fees at all.

You’re being charged for the full years because you took a place regardless if you dropped out or not.

that was your decision but you took the place and owe the money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh, the mention of changing your bank card here shouldn't matter

Things that matter:

(i) You signed up for a course and dropped out of it after it had commenced

(ii) You had committed to the course, therefore potentially preventing someone else from partaking in it (if it was full)

(iii) They want the money they are owed

If you want to fight-the-fight, do so. But they 100% will send Solicitors' Letters etc. (whether they'll follow up beyond that I wouldn't know). €3000 is an amount worth chasing for sure.

You're pure lucky you didn't pay in advance, but for all we know, you registered with your Revolut Card or something and just had no money in it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Basically they want you to pay 3 grand for 2 days attendance. No way should you pay. Don't worry, they won't come after you. Block all communication if possible and dump any letters in the bin. Forget about them and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Murt2024

Is this a private college, I wouldn't bother paying. Won't affect your credit rating unless its brought to court. I wouldn't worry about it. It will cost them more to purse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You two are making baseless assumptions, and being very cavalier with the op’s access to finance in the future. 3k is definitely worth following someone for, and if the college don’t have a policy of doing so, they risk their financial future if students can drop out without paying fees. The college can sell the debt to a debt collector who may hound the op, or, apply to the Court, 3k (plus costs which the op will likely also be liable for if the college succeeds)makes that worth while.

Just to be clear, the college don’t want him/her to pay for the 2 days, just in case that’s what you took from the opening post, they want the op to pay for the year of tuition he:she signed up for, whether the student wants to attend is optional.

OP, don't worry about posts like the one from Dav010. They won't chase you and even if they sell the debt to a debt collector, they can't do anything. As I said previously, bin all mail you receive and don't let this cause you any worry. A college trying to charge you 3k for 2 days attendance is a dodgy college. Can you give us an idea who they are? Does it begin with a P? Either way, you made a lucky escape. Thank your lucky stars and move on with your life. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It isn't 3k for 2 days attendance and you know it full well, it can only be trolling to keep repeating that.

And telling people to dump legal/financial correspondence in the bin should be a warnable offense in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The OP says she is already stressed.

When the debt gets transferred to a collection agency, that’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Even if they don’t take her to court, there will be a lot of threats of it.

I think you might be overestimating the poster’s understanding of the situation in the op. I genuinely think Musicrules thinks payment is related to attendance.

You will only be annoyed with yourself if you keep responding to his/her posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Try to negotiate a payment plan but insist you won't engage until they drop the exam fee. I can't see why they would be charging you that considering you didn't take any exams.

Seriously OP, I beg you not to take notice of these posters who seem to be getting a kick out of adding to your stress. I have been through a similar situation than what you're in. They will sell your debt to a debt collector but the debt collector can't do anything. Just ignore them. You will not have to pay anything back to the dodgy college and it won't affect your credit rating in any way at all. Don't listen to the scare mongering. The college are trying to charge you full fees for a service that was barely used. They are chancers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is bullsh1t tarted up to look like some form of legal knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well to start with you have no idea whether or not they will chase the OP or not. And second nobody needs to chase the OP as debt is over 500 Euros, it is free money for any debt agency the college offers it, so they will probably get about 80c to the Euro. Now you clearly have no idea how debt collection works these days and you are giving absolutely terrible advice.

I didn't say anything about legal knowledge. I'm giving the OP real world knowledge. The bullsh1t is coming from those talking about being brought to court or affecting credit ratings. That will not happen. Like I said, move on OP, don't give this nonsense any more thought.

I do know how it works as I've experienced something similar to the OP. I used the debt collectors letters to put on the fire.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No you don't, because if you did you would not come out with such crap. And I have no intention of wasting any more time debating with someone who's only action is to double down on their ignorance when called out.

It's the OP who's important here, not anyone who gets a kick out of stressing out other posters. Trust me OP, I've been through this, you have nothing to worry about. You say you're a long time poster on boards. Then you must know of the penchant for some to intentionally antagonise others and try to drag people down. Don't listen to it, don't believe it. You will be totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Could you attend the course in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am shocked to hear that you got yourself into a financial mess.

Point proven OP, this is how these posters want your thread to degenerate. They enjoy antagonising people. Don't pay attention to them, the same way don't pay attention to the college.

In the immortal words of George Bernard Shaw, Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

College are not "chancers" OP reserved a place on a course and never took it up. Kind of like booking a plane ticket, not showning up and wondering why the airline kept the fare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement