Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Deposit refund

Options
  • 23-02-2024 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

Wondering can anyone advise me..... placed a deposit on a used car over the phone without seeing the car ( as I was pressured into it by the sales guy) and it was to 'secure the car'! I asked the question about what would happen if I didn't want to go ahead with the sale after seeing the car and the sales guy just glazed over the question. The other thing was the actual car I placed a deposit on was not advertised- I was going by what the sales guy was telling me! ( the car was on route to them) I thought it over and rang the next morning to say I changed my mind as I knew Id made a mistake and was stupid. I signed nothing so no contract in place or signed. They processed a finance application for me which was declined anyway so even had I not decided to back out of the deal- I couldn't have gone ahead with the sale. Can someone please advise me? I feel so stupid but also annoyed that I allowed them bully me into the sale.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭JVince

That was simply a booking deposit and is refundable as you did not enter into a contract.

Even if he tried the "you made a verbal contract" it would never stand up.

I presume you paid by card. He should refund back onto the card and it should be on you card account within 2 days. If he doesn't, simply do a chargeback.

Never ever buy a car from such a dodgy sounding outfit and don't ever give a deposit on the phone. There are tens of thousands of cars out there - absolutely no shortage.

If he tries to get you to buy another car, just say your brother is going to sort a car for you. (doesn't matter if you have a brother or not - it will get rid of him)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭goochy

Car not advertised so no sale lost for them to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

Have you even asked for the deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'd advise ringing them up and asking for your deposit back OP, seems like far less hassle than setting up a boards account to just ask about it here.

I'm curious as to how you knew about the car without it being advertised, were you just ringing up 'dealers' looking for a particular model?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement