Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing open fireplace - any regrets

Options
  • 23-02-2024 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks

Just looking for a little bit of peoples opinions

i'm in a 4 bed detached house built in 1998 with only oil central heating and a fireplace in front living room that just heats the room. Gas is not an option where i live unless it is in a bottle

Now i love the look and coziness of a real fire - yes i am sentimental old fool as i have always had a real fire for over 50 years - but as i am getting older and more arthritis - i am finding the maintenance of the fire harder - with the coal, logs and storage of all this too. The house is also on top of a hill and the chimney is just so noisy when the wind is bad.

So I am thinking of getting rid of the open fire and replacing with either a real effect gas fire with a bottle of gas on the outside - or a cassette solid fuel stove - hoping it will reduce the noise of the wind but also make the current fireplace more aesthetically pleasing and more efficient in the burning of solid fuel as currently most of the heat goes up the chimney and also - so we aren't as reliant on the oil

So basically i am asking has anyone ever had any regrets on getting rid of their open fireplace ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Still have the fireplace but remodelled for anthracite 30 years ago with back boiler , now removed and had a fake gas fire for looks but over time it has burnt/rusted away and shut off.

Yes the open chimney is noisy in the wind but happened to have twin polycarbonate right width and cut a length and blocked it off for the winter. Gas has gone expensive for burning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Have insert stove and zero regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Removed it for gas heater. Lasted a few years and removed gas heater to put the open fire back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

None whatsoever.

I put a free standing stove onto my (old, fairly ornate) fireplace - it just sits on the hearth, the chimney is now totally sealed so the draught is eliminated, and it's about a hundred times more efficient at throwing out heat than the open fire was. I use the sawdust ecologs, and one or two will keep the room toasty for the whole evening. I was going through bales of briquettes in a week with the open fire.

It's up there with the best money I've ever spent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement