Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH with a new router... anyone got the full settings?

Options
  • 22-02-2024 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking at using a FritzBox on Eir 1GB FTTH in an XGS-PON urban fibre area.

I realise they won't give the VoIP long in credentials, so I'm just going to ditch the landline aspect entirely, but does anyone know how it will handle Apple TV / EirTV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

By all accounts its a regular Apple TV with the usual apps working as well as their TV service so I doubt they can be running any sort of special VLAN for TV like the ones used for ISP's dedicated TV boxes.

That may also mean they can't guarantee QoS for the TV service as well but on a 1Gbps connection that's probably less of an issue than in the VDSL days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Does anyone have the full settings though?

Can’t seem to find them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nr3

It's just a normal ethernet interface - plug into it, make sure your firewall is on vlan 10 and set to DHCP. No authentication, no PPPoE.

dam099's right - the AppleTV is just a normal AppleTV with the Eir app. No QoS or VLANs or multicast needed for that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I know I'll lose the VoIP phone but I think we make about 2 landline calls a year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Shoog

Out of interest Eir router doesn't seem to support multicast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The only thing you need to do, assuming you are taking the Eir router out of the equation is to set the tag Vlan 10 on the interface, set to DHCP, that the fritzbox is connected to the ethernet sid of the PON.

Sorry I see this may have been answered.

Advertisement