Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager podcast Tom and Harry

Options
  • 22-02-2024 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

I just wish to highlight this.

It's delta flyer on Spotify

Great podcast

By the two stars.

Very revealing.

Tom was meant to have a much bigger role

While I think voyager suffered from a lack of narrative arcs and three terribly boring actors - Harry Kim, Chakotay and Neelix it still has some pretty good episodes

It just didn't see which way the wind is blowing towards darkness and narrative arcs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Finished episode 1 well worth a liste

Full of interesting facts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I found Voy characters bland alright. However I think this was after coming from TNG and especially DS9. I mean, in DS9, leaving out main-credit characters you had Garak, Ducat, Kai Winn, Nog, Rom and others. As it went on, you had Martok in more and more episodes, hell, I even liked Vic. So you had over a dozen different characters with very different traits. And… well, it wasn't as liked in the US as TNG. So Voyager was definitely a conscious choice to move away from serialised episodes which impacted the ability for characters to grow. They tried a bit. Paris and Torres, Chakotay and Seven but they never really convinced me (Especially Chakotay/Seven). There was just no spark there like there was with Dax and Worf. Or the bond between Jake and Sisko.

Their Big Red Reset Button they used every 3 episodes or so just meant that Torres was always the angry Klingon. Tuvok the stoic Vulcan, Chakotay the "Magical Negro"/Spiritual Native American trope (Complete with spirit animal and "Indian" music). There was never an opportunity to develop a Nog character from "Alien friend of the kid character" to a damaged war veteran suffering from PTSD. Or expand on a Riker character from Heroic Kirk replacement to the same character but with a sense of humour as he relaxed into his role as XO. Never evolved a Dukat character to include the conflicted love he had for a daughter (That eventually broke him).

Having said that, they were absolute masterclasses in character definition compared to the characters in Enterprise:

The bland captain who's sole trait is that he's not Sam Beckett

The bland engineer who seems to have years of history with bland captain who's sole trait is that he's southern

The hot alien who is actually not bad and at least given SOME story

The repressed Brit who's sole trait is that he's the repressed Brit

The hot communications officer/translator and navigator who have NO defining traits at all

The alien doctor who's sole trait is to go on about alternative medicine.

Chokatay was hindered by bad writing but he wasn't a great actor either.

Jonathan frakes was better as a first officer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm not sure I can really ever complain about Enterprise characters again, having watched Discovery. Truthfully I never really minded most of them at all, but they're practically Shakespearean in comparison to what Discovery slopped together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

The best thing Discovery did was make everyone go "huh, I suppose Enterprise wasn't that bad."

Advertisement