Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmyard manure storage

Options
  • 22-02-2024 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Need dung cleaned out of shed in coming weeks for lambing, but I have no dungstead on the farm and land is way too wet to travel on too spread dung or even draw it out onto it. My question is could the shed be cleaned out and the dung stored on a stoney area in the yard or what are the rules amd regulations regarding this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

No. You have to have a way of collecting the run off. A concrete yard or even on the silage pit if you have one. Other than this out to the field with it.

If it’s dry stuff you could always throw it on the stoney area and cover it with polythene to stop any run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Suckler

This.

And/or roof a dungstead. We're in the same boat, did well to get some out earlier but a lot more piled up.

I wouldn't put any on a stone base, unless you're going to graipe...sprong...fork it in to the muck spreader later. it's a pain in the hole dragging up stones with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would a dung spreader with large floation tyres do much damage to a flat field if it stayed dry for the coming days and dung was spread next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭older by the day

But can't you make a heap out in the field on a dry patch and spread it later. Once there is no seepage in to a watercourse.

I thought after the 15th of January, you were allowed to heap it outside??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Get a roll of builders visqueen for aprox €12 , throw it over the dung and secure with a few concrete blocks in a field for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It doesn't have to be covered outside the closed period on a field. OP you should be able to get a chance in the next couple of weeks before lambing starts.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭queueeye

Completely depends on the field, you’ll know best yourself.

Advertisement