Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford local elections 2024

Options
  • 22-02-2024 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Who are the top performing local representatives in the city and county at local council level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

......definitely mary butler....god love her....

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

She is not on the local Council, she is a TD. There are local and Nationally elected representatives. Waterford has 4 at National and 32 locally elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Both you and her are !!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

I heard Ollie Dempsey running again this year, thoughts? (Source: Tom Mahers Rumours)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

That is some joke along with the two Hayes brothers!

They must think they're the Healy Rae's or aspiring to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'll run

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Both good lads and to be fair and if anyone can make use of a fella who is an artist with a chainsaw it's gotta be the shinners right ? To give all of the ooh-ah up the you know who candidates some credit, they do in general tend to be highly visible and active in their communities unlike many of the others.

You would wonder if some of the non-elected ones will retain a seat. I'll give it to Frank Quinlan.. no-one and I mean NO-ONE is as tough on potholes as he is. One man crusade to make the roads of Waterford as smooth as a putting green. Fair play. No questioning the commitment there.

I wouldn't say there's too many who did honours maths in their leaving cert. You'd wonder how many would be viable future TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hop House 13

Heard a lot of good things about Independent Councillor Donal Barry I'll give him the nod. Not going near any of the party's this time ,fed up of all them.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think the demographics of Waterford have changed a bit since the last local elections in 2019. I think a lot more younger people moved back to Waterford from places like Dublin and further afield during and after Covid. The prices for coastal property shot up as people had the opportunity of moving to rural parts of the county and working from home a lot of the week.

At a glance it looks like the average age profile of the Councillors is quite high, and the gender balance isn't great either. There's only one woman elected in the districts outside the city (i.e. 1 out of 14 positions), and things aren't much better in the city districts either where only 5 of the 18 seats are filled by women - and one of those was co-opted to replace a male candidate who became a TD (O'Cathasaigh).

So I would be interested to see a list of the candidates as one would expect there would have to be a freshening up of things.

SF had a really awful local election performance in 2019 when they lost seats on most Councils nationwide, except Waterford where their vote fell by 2% and they managed to keep what they had. They'll probably get another 2-3 seats after the poor show last time, and people will be watching closely to see where their second general election candidate will come from (I'm assuming it's going to be McGuinness in Dungarvan).

I think people will also be watching to see if there's a second FG Councillor in the west of the county to run alongside Cummins in the GE (but I think they'll probably leave him run by himself). Similarly FF might be wondering if there is a city GE candidate who's suitable to put forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I was gonna give Cullinane the vote but he never shares the fact that UHW doesn't get the same funding for a Cat4 hospital that the same hospitals all over the country get. That's very bad of him to ignore such a crucial issue. He's a big mouthpiece on housing and yet as a health spokesperson there's not a peep out of him on such an important issue. Very strange and he won't be getting my vote now..at least Matt Shanahan constantly highlights the shortfalls in funding both the hospital and the SETU get.

This is a thread about local elections taking place in June, rather than a future general election which has to happen before March next year. Neither of those individuals will be local election candidates, and the Councillors won't have much influence over things like the hospital or SETU.

It's politics. It's all related, especially in a tiny dot called Ireland.

In fairness it doesn't really, and to be fair most of the TDs won't have any influence over matters like the hospital or SETU unless they're in Government either.

I await loads of election material from local election candidates where they'll be talking absolute waffle about those matters which they have little or no influence over. When I see that sort of stuff I'm wondering if they don't know what their actual role is, or if they think I don't know.

What people should expect to hear about is what Councillors plan to do with the Council's annual budget, what type of stuff they'd like to see in the Council's local development plan (i.e. what type of land should be zoned for housing, recreation etc.), what type of roads development or active travel infrastructure should be installed, street lighting, public parks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I'd just like to hear the councillors in the city speak up more for the city. They all seem tied to a county agenda. The city rate base provides a lot of the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

Party first always part first with 3 of our 4 so called representatives.

Oli just drove up outside Cafe Nero in his wagon to hand out leaflets to people.

No longer a rumour. This is CONFIRMATION!!!

• Advertisement

In an update to the above, he just received a parking ticket for illegal parking.

You can't make this stuff up.

That parking warden around the city is a right little pr!ck though. Textbook example of a jumped up Hitler who actually thinks he's someone. Strutting around the place full of his own self-importance. Yeah well done mate, you are 60 and dish out parking tickets for a living, what a winner ha ha

Advertisement