Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Signal From Dish

Options
  • 22-02-2024 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have SKY HD box in the Kitchen for free to air channels a few days ago it went blank it keeps saying the box is initializing, restarted the box several times but no good, I had another Sky box in the bedroom so I swapped it over still the same no signal, I assumed it had to be the LNB so I got a new one and fitted it and still no signal, the dish is in good condition I am at a loss to know what the issue is I checked the cable and it seems to be ok I also have a second dish that I have for Sky which is working perfect, can anyone point me in some direction to look for the fault. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,571 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't have Sky. I googled "Sky box initialising" and the first result says that it could be a software update needed. That Sky forum has plenty of other posts about it as well.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky/My-sky-says-it-s-initialising-and-has-been-for-48-hours-date-day-01-01-and-time-1-00-am-have-foll/td-p/3570739

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I tried the 2nd box which is working but not through the dish that I always used which is the one with the problem and there is zero signal showing on the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Here nearly 20 years with a self installed dish and cable run, it's pretty much always the cable - partly my own fault for long, exposed (at points) runs, but also the sh*te that builders install as "satellite" cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It could be be your dish was blown off course slightly, I know mine was in that last storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

A cheap sat finder is a godsend for fixing satellite problems. Connect it with a short length of new cable to the dish and that will show if you have a signal. If not the dish is misaligned. If there is then the problem is the cable. Usually fails at the dish end due to corrosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If you swapped boxes over and the working one is not in the new spot . if bad box works again upstairs , + you have swapped the LNB but maybe it is bad cable old or water ingress.

If boxes work upstairs and have a good signal alignment must be good. Any burn marks on the cable at box.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Sat finder on the below link from will tell a lot.

Find your house on dishpointer.com and select Astra 28.2 from the dropdown box.

This will show the trajectory that your dish should be pointing in to pickup FTA

https://www.dishpointer.com/

I have a Sat finder ok so will check when this bad weather dies down I will cut the wires at the dish end and redo them currently Thunder and Lightning not far from here now .

Hi all and thanks for all the helpful replies today, I checked all the cables and they were ok however badly corroded at the LNB, the LNB was also not working, fitted a new LNB cut the cables and fitted new connections and all working again .Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes corroding terminals is a common thing as many installers will put new ones on with lnbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I never had a problem with corrosion with over 20 years of exposure, probably because I wrapped the F connector with a sticky black mastic used to insulate car aircon connectors.

Then a big wind came and blew my dish away, leaving me with a different sort of problem.

Glad you managed to sort it.

Advertisement