Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about water conservation

Options
  • 22-02-2024 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

hey all, so I’ve been wondering about saving water lately. I watched a program which was demonstrating how much more water is required to make 1kg of beef vs pork vs chicken etc. Beef takes a lot more water per kg to grow /farm according to the program.

My query is that, yes, in the US where these programs are produced, and droughts are becoming increasingly common (particularly California), water conservation is a real issue and should be a factor in choices are made. But over here in ireland, is it an issue? Should we be factoring in how much water is used to make our food when we don’t have a shortage that I can see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's comparing apples and oranges in terms of natural resources.

In Ireland it's not a concern in the Spring to Autumn season when the farm stock is naturally reared on grass pastures and the bulk of the water taken in is via grass digestion.

If it's zero-graze or sheded for the Winter then yes, it's more of a concern in terms of both welfare and water, but Ireland isn't suffering the same droughts that the West of America is suffering from, so in that way it's not possible to say that we have the same environmental impact or concerns as similar farming would in the US.

Advertisement