Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush & weed killing

Options
  • 22-02-2024 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Have a boggish field out the front of the house that we allow sheep graze on. I have noticed a lot of rushes at the bottom of the field along with a lot of thistles and nettles. I have got spray in a hardware before but it did not seem to do alot. I have read that you can get spray that goes into the root and kills the root. Can anyone recommend a spray to do this? Also the other issue is the sheep should be back in the field in the 2 few weeks so it needs to be fast acting. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Aravo

I would leave it for now and weedlick it with roundupor rosate 360 or similar product in early summer. Can be grazed a few days/week after. It will kill the rushes and nettles and thistles but if it's wet and boggish the rushes will return in time no matter if its been weedlicker or sprayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are you not better mulching it now and then spraying the fresh young regrowth?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭RockOrBog

Would rushes and thistles be common growing together, I would have thought you'd get the rush in boggy land and the thistle in drier land

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Aravo

All depends on how strong the rushes are. Have tried all sorts over the years. If I had a mulcher yes would use it. A rotary mower would cut them back to get the regrowth aswell. As sure as night follows day, they will be back given wet conditions like we've had the last 9mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Am assuming it's the creeping thistle which seem to be the issue on sheep ground, have boggy ground with rush, find top early and often or weed wipe every other year.

If it's the scotch thistle, keeping stock off when wet should work

• Advertisement
Advertisement