Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advance/Refund affecting tax paid?

Options
  • 22-02-2024 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have emailed the revenue about this but given they have a 20 to 25 working day turnaround I thought I'd try to pick the brains of boards while I wait.

Last month I noticed my employer had incorrectly deducted me 241 euros each month for a tax saver travel ticket I didn't purchase. When I told them about it they gave me a 500 euro advance and told me they would reclaim the 500 euro advance and refund me me what they took on my next pay cheque, which came in today. They did just that, which is all good but I noticed that the tax I have paid this month is 290 euro higher on my paye, 29 euro higher on my prsi and 29 euro higher on my USC. Those figures are rounded.

Why would this be? I have other deductions of a pension, lpt and a shavesave scheme but those figures haven't changed.

I'm just a little perplexed, my employers said they can't help with tax queries, which is understandable and expected, I just don't understand it at all. I checked the revenue in the myaccount section and non of my tax details seem to have changed. The only thing I can think of is that the advance/refund thing seem to have impacted it, but I just don't see how.

Am I missing something obvious here? Has there been a massive change in how we're taxed? I already was above the tax threshold for 40%, but even if I wasn't, it would have only been the bit I went over that got taxed extra, wouldn't it?

Comments

Advertisement