Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old style chippers Dublin city centre

Options
  • 21-02-2024 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

There was a great chipper in Marlborough Street called Del Rio Cafe that was in business last year, possibly late in the year. Old style, formica tables, one of the best places for fresh cod in batter. Mostly older Dubs in there

It seems to be closed - anyone any idea whats happened.

Any alternative in/near city centre for sit down fish and chips

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del Rios keeps odd/limited hours, I've not heard of it closing.

The place I was going to recommend did actually change over - Fusciardis Capel Street is now an Italian restaurant rather than a chipper.

Kingfisher Parnell Street is a bit fancier but it is still a chipper at heart. Otherwise sit down places are rare, Beshoffs on O'Connell or the Burdocks in Temple Bar have seats but I doubt that's what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Very few of the old style greasy spoon places left. Kingfisher on Parnell Street is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I was only reminiscing of Del Rio's today as I passed it on the Luas. Worked around there a good few years ago and used to go in at lunch for the Irish breakfast. Seriously good 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Yea and lovely staff there.

Never had the breakfast there and now Im sorry.

I remember now being in one somewhere off Francis Street December 2021 - might try to find that or try Parnell Sq. Thanks for the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is Del Rios still in business?

I was in Dublin last week (Wednesday lunchtime) and it was shuttered and closed.

Don’t tell me they are gone?

Best chipper in the city centre!!! -

When we were “up in the big smoke” for a day out, as kids we always went and I still go any chance I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Saw online that Del Rio closed down recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

People have become more health conscious and there’s also less of the old working class (tradespeople, council workers etc) to support a traditional greasy spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I too was a huge fan of the Del Rio's fresh cod. Used to work around the corner and went in at least once a month. Sad if it is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭nachouser

Fusco's on Meath Street might suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Surely this belongs in the Dublin city thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Fortes on Dprset Street is savage..

gee - when I was a student - after the big tree - bag of chips with garlic sauce - hmm.. for just over €1.. death row stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thanks posters.

I think Fuscos was the one I visited some time back so will give it a try.

Also Dorset St.

Advertisement