Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramping up frustration

Options
  • 21-02-2024 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

I've opened an entry to the back garden by widening an existing gate. Happy days, or so I thought.

There's a fairly steep incline of about two metres to get up, since the house is built on a hill. I thought the bike would do it easily, but the tyres are slipping on a couple of steps -- even if one of them is just 1.5 inches -- because I have to take it from a standing start. If I don't do something different, I'm going to burn out my clutch and, at least, the rear tyre.

So, I'm wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and has any suggestions as to a solution. I've already tried a heavy duty rubber kerb ramp -- flew out on to the road; a car mat -- also airborne, and today I tried a long rubber-backed mat which ended up with two holes in it. I'm thinking of a heavy rubber mat, but thought I might check here first to see if I'm missing something obvious.

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get rid of the steps, make a ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

I can get rid of one ok -- the smaller one -- but one of them is on the (quite narrow) public footpath so making that a ramp isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Make a removable ramp from, for example, wood. Make sure it's well anchored while in use. Put a non-slip material on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

That might be an option! I'm gonna try and make it a continuous ramp as far as possible, i.e. still keeping the outside step (I have a bit of a ramp on it -- probably not legal but discreet). But a good suggestion!

Advertisement