Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Inheritance Query

Options
  • 21-02-2024 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

My sister moved to the US many years ago and has been very successful in her field. My siblings here in Ireland and myself have maintained a great relationship with her, despite the distance between us. My US sister never married or had children but always treated her 5 nieces and nephews like her own children. She now wants to do some tax planning and wishes to leave her home in San Francisco to her Irish domiciled nieces and nephews. 

Her US will reflects them as her beneficiaries and from my limited understanding, they will not be liable for Irish inheritance tax as they can opt for US inheritance rules under the Double Tax agreement. 

Am I right in this? 

Advertisement