Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experts on Property…folio questions

Options
  • 21-02-2024 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I have a few questions regarding the folio.

1. Basically whenever I search for a property (freehold) and find out that there is no folio, I decide to discard that house from my list. From my understanding, if there is no folio it means that a property has never been registered, and its first registration will take more time and more bureaucratic hassle to get it done (compared to a house who already has been registered). I also saw that there is a big backlog for the land registry to sort out all the registrations (of houses in general), and that it might take years to get the documents in my name. This might be detrimental in case of resale for example. Am I right in thinking this or am I paranoid?
    2. I have seen houses where it would show that, yes, the house is freehold and registered, but, it is part of a larger group of houses (they all show in red). What does it mean when a bunch of houses are all red and freehold?
    3. For some of them it also shows stuff like “Mapping Query”, “Awaiting Attention”, “For further attention”, etc. Am I right into thinking that when I see these names it means that there is an unresolved issue with the titles on the property?

Again, buying a house is stressful enough and I’d rather avoid some of the hassle if I know what this stuff means.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think you would be better off getting the advice of a solicitor if you want to investigate titles before making an offer. In general there is nothing wrong with buying unregistered land where a solicitor has investigated the title. Conversely, registration is not a guarantee that there will not be any problems.

Advertisement