Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation help!

Options
  • 21-02-2024 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,

My son is doing his leaving this year, hes hoping to go to UL if he gets what he needs,

If not it would be Galway, Sligo or Letterkenny,

I've been looking up accommodation across the different colleges,

Most of them take bookings for accommodation around now and let you know by the end of march if you're successful, but, in Sligo for instance , they look for a €500 deposit at that point, how can you pay that not knowing that he's even going there, and having to repeat this across different colleges?

Am I missing something here or is this what everyone does?

How can you decide on accommodation and pay money when you have no clue of his points total yet?

Can anyone point me to forums on this topic? I didnt go to college so haven't a clue about all this, any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Clarification: is this for offical college accomodation near/on site? If yes then yeah it is completely normal. Sister was in UCC and you would be privilleged to be getting accommodation on site.

Its not just the accommodation crisis it was always this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

Had this with UG last year. 250e deposit but course points not achieved so lost the place but only got e150 back, losing 100e for nothing. Then to add insult to injury, course place offered in second round but the room was already allocated and gone. Very bad system and a total headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

This is on campus accomodation,

Was entering lotteries for different campus accommodations today, if you are successful the first payments on all these places are in July or mid August, but leaving results don't come out till the end of August, so you're dropping a grand or two on a place that you don't even know if you're qualifying to go to, this is absolute madness

Advertisement